When to "clean" a coin?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by hydropsyche, Feb 24, 2020.

1. hydropsyche

hydropsyche Member

I have an 1820 US large cent(will post a picture tonight), and on the obverse, there are two small spots of corrosion. If I remember correctly, one is over the "T" in liberty, and the other over one or two stars at roughly the 1 o'clock position.

There's turquoise discoloration, which to me, indicates corrosion of some sort. I'm also assuming that unless addressed, it will continue in some shape or form. In this type of case, what is an acceptable action to not further devalue the coin?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

4. hydropsyche

hydropsyche Member

Greenish turquoise...I'll have to get a picture up tonight.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds like bronze disease.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not simple verdigris?

7. hydropsyche

hydropsyche Member

Looking at some images searching verdigris, that looks exactly like it. The searching also shows there are many solutions to getting rid of it. Does anyone have experience with this, that can recommend one method or another?

8. Collecting Nut

Photos, we need photos otherwise we are just guessing.

9. Islander80-83

Without seeing it, off the top of my head.......Acetone bath first, then verdi-care.

Put post pics here first for other opinions.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Yeah, there was this product called Verdi-Care that was the go-to solution for verdigris. Unfortunately, it's out of production and unavailable at the moment, as best I can tell. Its creator is a member here (@BadThad).

11. hydropsyche

hydropsyche Member

picture attached here. what do you all think?

Attached Files:

Islander80-83 likes this.
  12. Islander80-83

Yup, you're right. Verdigris, corrosion plus damage. Still not a bad looking coin.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's verdigris. Acetone might stop the process. Try it once a week for about a month or so, then tuck it away in a 2x2 and see how it does over time. There's not much else that can be done. Some of it looks like it's etched in to stay, while the disturbance behind the ear and above the head might be of the type that can still be loosened some with a moistened toothpick after a soak.

sambyrd44 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  14. hydropsyche

hydropsyche Member

How long should it sit each time I soak it?

15. Collecting Nut

That's verdigris so take measures to get rid of it.

16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Get some verdicare and soak in it will help remove and also stop it from progressing

17. hydropsyche

hydropsyche Member

Haven’t found verdicare available anywhere. Will the acetone work, and if yes, how long should each soak be?

18. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The proper procedure is to soak them for 9 years, once a week, for one month...

OK, look. All it has to do is make contact with the acetone. The idea is to kill off whatever impurities are on the surface. When the acetone evaporates you’ll have a dry, basically inert surface. So really, just a minute or so will do the trick.

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Acetone won't remove the verdigris, but it will dry the area and then as long as you keep it dry the corrosion will not continue to get worse. Basically you can't reverse the corrosion, but you can keep it from getting any worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted