When the Presidential Dollar series ends

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by onecenter, Dec 31, 2012.

1. onecenter

onecenter Member

Depending upon the longevity of former Presidents Jimmy Carter and George H. W. Bush, the presidential dollar coin series will end in either 2016 or 2017. Both former heads of state are now 88 years old. The Native American series of dollars will most likely continue. Should there be a new series of dollar coins comparable to the former presidents?

One suggestion I would like to see for any new dollar coin or series of dollar coins is the release of a silver proof version.

The thoughts and opinions of fellow Coin Talk members would be interesting to read.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I like the Sac dollars, but the Pres dollars are just more boring plastic looking deadheads. Hopefully if they continue them they do one design a year and of an artistic and original persuasion.
    Guy

4. wgpjr

wgpjr Collector

Unless they plan on getting rid of the $1 note, after the President series is over with, just stick with the Native American coin and nothing else. If they decide to finally ditch the note, then I would not be opposed to a new coin to circulate with the NA coin.

5. Copper Head

Copper Head Active Member

I don't think we need more than one series of a dollar coin so I'd replace the current ones with something new. I'd like to see a series featuring American authors, artists and musicians. We have a lot of them and many are quite coin-worthy.

6. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It is my understanding that they'll have enough presidential dollars in warehouses to last for a couple of decades. Thus, we can kick that can down the road kind of like our fiscal situation.

7. Silverhouse

Silverhouse Well-Known Member

The problem with dollar coins is, nobody wants to carry that many coins in their pockets. Most everyone I've asked whether they'd prefer dollar notes or coins, all said notes. I prefer the jingle jangle of dollar coins myself.

8. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Which only accentuates the need to get rid of the one dollar note.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Like Lee stated above, nothin' ain't happening with these coins till the Federal Reserve yanks the dollar bill. I think they should let the program die and just continue with the sac's. I don't think anyone's gonna notice.

Funny you should mention that. The 2008 Red Book lists such a coin. Whether or not it was wishful thinking on the publishers part or if in fact something of this nature was being kicked around by the mint, we'll never know. I'd like to see a silver proof too. :)

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In 2006 the mint conducted surveys judging the collectors point of view on the Proposed Presidential dollar series. One of the options was to offer a silver proof version of the coin and this met with great approval in the survey. The possibility of the silver proof was discussed by collectors and the mint and it was apparently going to be a slam dunk. Well the deadline for changes to the 2008 Redbook passed before the mint announced whether there would be a silver version the editor, on the strength of the survey results and public demand, assumed that the Mint would put out a silver version and included it in the Redbook. What they all seemed to have forgotten was that the authorizing legislation did not authorize a silver version and the Mint apparently thought they would have too much trouble getting the legislation amended.

The dollar legislation requires that at the end of the President dollar program all of the dollars revert to the Sacagawea design.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Wow! Thanks Conder.....:)

12. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

The Reagan Dollar is the answer.

13. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

I personally have no interest in collecting the presidential dollars, however I am for eliminating the paper dollar and using these ugly coins for every day purchases.

14. 9roswell

9roswell Senior Member

as far as most people go the series is already over when they stopped making them available for face value.

15. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Is there any collect-ability to these things? Ive been swapping out $5 or $10 at the bank for any dollar coins they have when I can. I havent been doing it for collecting, but more for saving. I have a habit of not spending my change, so I thought I could increase my savings quicker by exchanging dollar bills for half dollar and dollar coins (saving coins is just a small segment of my savings right now, and so far last year i accumulated around $400 in pocket change). I will however start examining them more closely if there is some value there.

Any advice or tips?

Oh and the coolest ones ive found have been AU/BU Lincoln dollars and a very nice 1999P SBA that i think is kind of cool since they revived them for just that year.

16. rockyyaknow

Unless there is an error and the presidential dollars are circulated I don't see much if any of a premium on them currently. I know most the banks around me have a ton of current dollar coins to give to customers. If you can find Ike dollars those can bring a small premium for someone willing to pay a bit more for them.

17. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

What about the 99 SBAs, anything?

18. rockyyaknow

When I go to a bank searching for halves or dollar coins I just ask for Ikes, but I may start asking for SBA's as well, but that is just my preference.

19. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

I agree with wgpjr. The only way they are going to get a dollar coin circulating is to get rid of the paper dollar bill. I have heard recent talk of congress doing just that. But since they can't get anything done regarding more important national matters I doubt they will ever figure this one out. Or maybe they will because this one is simple and low voter risk impact vs what they really need to deal with which is complex and high voter risk impact. We'll see.

20. dannic113

dannic113 Member

Nope unless they rework the statute that allows for their mintage. When the program was revised in 2009 to the Native American dollars they left the original end date of the program alone at 2016. The presidential coins will end roughly the same time. Since Nixon, Ford and Reagan are the 2016 coins thus far so if Carter dies in time (I think the pres has to be dead for minimum of 1 year prior to the coin's release) he would be the forth for the year and the program ends there. If Carter doesn't die in time the program may end in 2015 or only have three coins issued. Legislation only allows for the 2016 date so if old man Bush dies there may be only one coin in 2017 or he may not be honored at all as I don't see Clinton, W Bush and Obama dying in time to make two three or four coins for the 2017 year. So we will have a new design or no dollar coin at all in 2016 at the earliest and 2017 for sure.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I like the 1999 P proof, mintage of only 750K.

The NA program doesn't change the termination of the President dollar coins, but once the President s stop the law provides that there after all dollar coins shall be of the Sacagawea type design, and it then allows for the continued issuance of the NA dollars with designs chosen by the Secretary of the Treasury after consultation with the Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the House of Representatives, and the National Congress of American Indians.

(Section 5112 (r) (3) (C) (i) & (ii)
    (i) shall be issued, to the maximum extent practicable, in the chronological order in which the Native Americans lived or the events occurred, until the termination of the coin program described in subsection (n); and
    (ii) thereafter shall be issued in any order determined to be appropriate by the Secretary, after consultation with the Committee on Indian Affairs of the Senate, the Congressional Native American Caucus of the House of Representatives, and the National Congress of American Indians. )

And the President has to be dead for 2 years before he is eligible for his coin. Currently the program ends at Ford in 2016. If Carter dies by mid 2014 then the program will extend through the end of 2016 with Reagan. If George H W Bush dies by the end of 2014 then he will have the only coin in 2017. (They don't have the option not to honor him just because there would only be one coin and not four that year. If he is eligible he has to get his coin.)

Draft saved Draft deleted