When not-so-rare coins are mispriced

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Gilbert, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Sean5150

Sean5150 Well-Known Member

I love the carson city coins. They're great for attributing because there are relatively so many fewer VAMS. They have the Wild West mystique. You can buy them right from the press (via the vaults and then GSA) and they have some of the lowest mintages of all Morgans. Sure most of them were released by the GSA, but that means you can get an MS 67 coin minted a hundred fifty years ago.

As for Ebay, it amazes me the dealers with buy it now prices in the stratosphere who will sit on a coin for literally years instead of lowering the price ten percent.

I think the best cherry picking occurs from people who dont sell coins on Ebay. I cherry picked an 1882 CC Vam 2D (luckly he has a buy it now price) AND an 1878 CC VAM 18.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

I'm guessing that many coins that sit unsold for months on eBay and elsewhere are consigned coins rather than dealer-owned coins. In many cases, a collector doesn't care that much if a coin sells in a hurry because they can still enjoy the coin and maybe get a good price if they wait. Based on the high asking prices, some are just fishing for a sucker though.

Cal

4. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

This is my favorite type of cent to collect. Uncirculated early date lincoln with grainy surfaces. Did you buy it?

That's what makes figuring the difference so tough. The early die state business strikes look matte. That's when it comes down to rims and die markers. My 1915 has die gouges along the rim on the reverse the same as a matte proof. However I dont think the rims are right and neither is the bowtie. I believe it may have been struck with retired proof dies though which would explain a few things.

I do have an actual 1912 matte proof though.

Michael K and Paul M. like this.
  5. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

Yes, I did. I already have a 1912, and I'm trying to avoid impulse buys, but - you know - it was just so pretty.

I am so jealous.

Here is my 1915 which also looks amazing. When you see the deterioration in the dies during the subsequent decades, these strikes are even more remarkable.
    01c 1915 obverse 01.jpg
    01c 1915 reverse 02.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

You can see both of them here (first post on that page)
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/post-your-lincolns.192928/page-137#post-2213795

Draft saved Draft deleted