When is it worth to grade

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by EasyE418, May 6, 2015.

1. EasyE418

EasyE418 Ca$h Money collector

All,

As I go through my collection, I have some proof sets and loose Morgans and other various coins and was wondering when it is right to send in coins to get graded.

For example, 2006 W 20th Anny Gold Eagle Set. Is it worth shipping out to PCGS to get graded?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Will grading increase the value of the coin by more than the cost of grading fees, shipping fees and insurance fees? If the answer is yes, it's worth grading.

silverbullion and swamp yankee like this.
  4. EasyE418

Yeah, I guess that was a dumb question. Is eBay the best feel for fair market value to see if grading is worth it?

5. rickmp

Ebay will give you a good feel for values. Make sure you look only at sold results, though. Asking prices mean nothing.

You can look at Great Collections and Heritage Auctions sites for more info on sales prices, too. I think that you have to sign up for an account on these two sites to get sale price info, but it's free to sign up.

silverbullion and Pawnmonkey like this.
  6. EasyE418

Perfect. Thanks

7. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

I would go with E-bay as well. And like a previous reader suggested go to the sold results to get an idea on what it commonly sells for. Good Luck and hope all the posters opinions help you on your decision. :watching:

8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Have you examined the proofs to determine what they will grade, or are you just hoping that PCGS will grade them high just because they are proofs? What about the Morgans? Are they common dates that will grade high or are they keys that will grade below gem? It wouldn't make much sense to compare previous sales to coins of unknown condition.

Chris

bwdul likes this.
  9. EasyE418

On the Proofs, yes. On the Morgans, I probably have all common dates, I will have to find out which ones are key dates.

I also have some graded coins that were graded by companies that aren't PCGS or NGC. Is it worth cracking em open and re-grading them?

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Aside from ANACS (and some say ICG), most likely not worth it. They tend to be problem coins and/or grossly overgraded.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

A number of years ago, I would not have said this, but now I must - if it isn't in a PCGS, NGC, or an old small ANACS holder, it may even be worth more raw than in some other kind of holder. It isn't fair, but it is what it is.

The "rep" of ANACS and ICG have both slipped lately, and aside from the fact that some other companies had/have nice slabs physically, they are truly punished in the marketplace. You can sometimes truly ask, "How much more do you think I can get for this if it weren't in this slab." I have seen this at auction myself. Nicer coin in a third tier slab sells for less than a worse raw one.

cpm9ball likes this.
  12. EasyE418

Perfect. Unfortunately, I do have a handful of PCI gradings, but majority are PCGS, NGC, small ANACS, some ICG.

13. cpm9ball

69's are pretty common, so unless they are 70's, I don't think it would be worth it to have them graded.

Chris

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  14. cpm9ball

Consider each PCI or ICG coin on an individual basis, but it would be better to crack them before submitting.

Chris

15. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

My personal threshold: $300 or more FMV, and I would consider certification.

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Leave the small ANACS unless they are particularly valuable. PCI and ICG could possible be descent coins. You would be best having someone knowledgeable look at them.

17. Legacy

Legacy Member

It's an interesting question. As I go through my Morgans, I'm getting the Key and Semi keys graded. When I first started collecting though, it was much more fun handling coins, even in flips, and potentially finding a treasure. Going through slabs just isn't as much fun to me. I still like going to flea markets with loop and Redbook in hand. I know, dork!

18. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Do you mind posting some pictures of these coins?

19. EasyE418

Any cheat sheet for key Morgan dates?

I will try my best.

20. bwdul

bwdul Member

So I bought 2nickels offered as graded coins.SCGS and AGC since i have learned it means nothing, but a seller had them slabbed and graded.Now is this a standard practice? Or some sellers do this as a marketing tool? The ms70 looks no better than a business strike 64p and I now know the difference,but still feel duped..

21. rickmp

For most coins, grading is a marketing tool. For some coins, it is seen a a guarantee of authenticity.

Draft saved Draft deleted