When is "Cleaned" not Important

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pocket Change, Jul 30, 2009.

1. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

It's somewhat of a personal thing.

I think the bottom line is:
    1. How much would you pay for an original coin X?
    2. How much would you pay for a cleaned coin X?

Work with various scenarios (series, grades, conditions, etc.)
    At what point for you (if ever) are the answers to 1 and 2 the same?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

A keeper is a coin with history. once you clean them you clean a way the history :kewl:
    that my 2 cents

4. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

But if you clean vf coin then it gets worn down to fine or vg then does that make it have original sufaces again, or have any less history. Like I said, does it really matter that a heavily circulated coin get's a light cleaning. What is wear anyway?

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

That what I call a Cull

6. Art

Art Numismatist?

Many many coins have been cleaned. In the late 1800's and much of the 1900's it was common for coins to be cleaned by very avid collectors. Many coins were literally stored in cabinets and were wiped periodically with a soft cloth to "keep" them clean. A huge percentage of the Half and Large cents have been cleaned in one form or another. In fact it is common for collectors of these coins to brush them to remove dust and and such.

My net on cleaned coins is that I don't care. I don't collect for investment and if I like the coin than it's fine for me.

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

To me sort of the same thing. One thing not really mentioned here is the future of any of the coins we are discussing. If you have a coin and no intent to resell it, it's yours so don't worry about what anyone says about it.
    If you show an old coin around you'll always get statements like it's cleaned, all old coins are cleaned, it's warped, worn, dirty, old, dented, to new, no value, tarnished, melt value, etc. That is expected but if you have the coin for yourself, it doesn't matter what anyone says, it's yours.
    Yes there are coins that have been cleaned, polished, burned and lots of other things.
    As already noted I too don't care if a coin has been cleaned. And if polished, it's fun to attempt to unpolish them.

8. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

:eek:...holy schnikees!!

9. rugrats2001

rugrats2001 Seeker of Truth

Well, its at $1100 now, and that is only the internet bidding...

10. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

In my opinion, a lot of times you can improve the appearance of a coin by carrying it in your pocket with a few other coins to add some normal wear to the surface. This may or may not increase the value of the coin depending on what you paid for the cleaned coin and how much additional wear it takes to "fix" it. If you try this, consider it an experiment, not a cure.

11. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

That is a good one. :)

As to the original question - "When is cleaned not improtant?" When you the collector does not mind paying the price of the coin in question. Just my opinion.

12. SNDMN59

SNDMN59 New Member

Coin cleaning

I worked a factory i cant say where, Beause i am on LTD waiting for SS hearing next t week. Well that is beside the thread.We actually made metal for the us mint fram raw material, rolling to gauge, sheard , bonded,cleaning , then shipped, you would know when it was being cleaned , you would walk in the building , start getting teary eyed, and a odor like rotten eggs.WHY YOU ASK ? WE USED SULFRIC ACID ON THE LAST PROCESS ! They had a huge dip tank , with towers and as it was going up and down at some time during the procees it was ran thru the acid, it was so bad that we would have to go to medical . . But i do know that is what is done at the last porocees . BEFORE being shipped , to being punched out , etc. AGAIN i can not say where this is done but i know it is very hazards to breath. Now you know why three cornea transplant later eye sight 20/ 90 after 3 transplants later :whistle:

13. SNDMN59

SNDMN59 New Member

To let you know im not complaing about my health situation, or want any one to feel sorry for me. It happened AND the CO. knows why and how

but as i said it is a very hazordous cleaning process. :rolling:

Draft saved Draft deleted