When is a low grade acceptable?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by NewbietoCoins, Jan 13, 2020.

1. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The lowest grade in my prime collection is a Fine-15. It's very tough coin, the 1796 half dollar. Generally I would not go lower than that, but every collector is different.

Low grade coins with no damage are unusual and have a place in many collections. I think the real sin is to collect common coins with problems when nicer pieces are available at prices that fit your budget. Why buy and "eye sore" when you don't have to do it?

Mainebill and NewbietoCoins like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Allan

Allan Member

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    NewbietoCoins, ripple and NSP like this.
  4. coin dog

coin dog Well-Known Member

I do not mind worn coins at all. As long as it is honest wear. Rim dings and unsightly scratches are a deal breaker for me. I bought this PCGS AG03 Walker back in 2009 for $15.00. Price was right, and to my eye, a coin with honest wear with no obvious unsightly damage.
    e82832d4-952c-42f7-b55c-953316ac075f.jpg

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Right there with you, but my standards are looser -- a half-dollar of that vintage worked hard enough that scratches and rim dings are part of honest wear to me. I fully realize that most people disagree, but I don't mind them much at all, and that lets me enjoy coins that I'd probably never get in a "problem-free" state.

ripple, NewbietoCoins and coin dog like this.
  6. NewbietoCoins

NewbietoCoins Well-Known Member

I have to contact the seller tomorrow to discuss payment but if all goes well, this will be making its way to me! I have been researching this coin and looking at several that are available but I have kept coming back to this one.

37914734_Extralarge.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Allan and ripple like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted