When Hope is a Bad Thing - Elpis and Pandora’s “Box”

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Feb 20, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Lol. This is so true and very timely. Thanks for the laugh. On top of all the typical scam / spam emails my work has gotten into the habit of sending fake scam emails to see if anyone would be dumb enough to click on them. Pretty soon we are going to have to start mailing letters to let people know we are going to email them. :wacky::D

Wonderful Spes / Elpis coins Doug. I especially like you Emesa coins of Septimius Severus. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. curtislclay

curtislclay Well-Known Member

Addition to the pedigree: Harlan Berk sold the Art Institute's Glover Collection of Alexandrian coins in Gemini XIII, Chicago, 6 April 2017, lots 378-490.

Your coin is not illustrated, but must have been part of either lot 460, 16 tetradrachms of A. Pius, six of which were ex Dattari and illustrated in Dattari-Savio; or of lot 462, 19 tetradrachms of A. Pius, one of which was ex Dattari and illustrated in Dattari-Savio. In describing the group lots I always noted how many of the coins were stated to be ex Dattari, and how many were actually illustrated by the Dattari-Savio rubbings; so a lot without such a notation cannot have included your coin.

The notations in blue ink on the back of the ticket were made by myself in the process of writing up the collection for the auction catalogue.

I think the (why??) on the front of the ticket probably refers to the RR below it: why did the original writer of the ticket consider this coin to be very rare?

Curtis, Carl Wilmont and Curtisimo like this.
  4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Thank you for the additional info Curtis! It is fun to know that you contributed to the tag and that the mystery of the “why” has been solved. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted