Featured When hobbies collide ~ Coin Collecting and Great Books

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by USS656, Jul 30, 2014.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

I saw these back in November and definitely wanted some. I was hoping to win one on a drawing Patrick Rothfuss offered as part of his Worldbuilders charity give-away (that is open to anyone that donates.) You can visit Thetinkespacks.com or Shirepost.com for more information.

They are made by a private mint (Shire Post Mint) owned by Tom Maringer. I first heard of the mint from Tom years ago here on CT. He hooked me up with some nickels with counterstamps back then.

In honor of this recent purchase I am going to offer some of the nickels up in the contest section a little later.

Rules:
    • The first five people to name a coin in the contest thread (not already mentioned or shown by another CT member including me in this thread)
    • that is used in either story (George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones or Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind)
    Will receive a free counterstamped nickel as shown in the contest thread I start. Should be easy to figure out where to find some of the coins used in the stories. :)

I loved both of these stories and they are both very high on my recommend list. If you read The Name of the Wind you will love the second book A Wise Mans Fear which I feel bested a great 1st book. Someday Mr. Rothfuss will release the 3rd book in the series (I don't time travel so I don't know when but I will bet it will be worthy of 5 stars - lol :D ) I really do love when these two hobbies combine and the stories come to life in a small but fun way. Hope you get something out of this thread besides a chance to win a nickel!

Best Regards ~ Darryl

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Galen59 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Working in the book trade, for thirty some years I love this.

USS656 likes this.
  4. theshoegazer

theshoegazer Well-Known Member

You're looking for names of other coins mentioned in Game of Thrones/Song of Ice & Fire? There's the silver stag and the golden dragon, plus the copper star (already mentioned).

5. carboni7e

carboni7e aka MonsterCoinz

I've recently started collecting books. Mostly classics and first editions of my favorite novels.

6. USS656

Exactly what i do as well. My Kindle is how I read them, but when I find a book I really like I add it to the collection.
    10557776_10203504801414415_2861848168380148437_o.jpeg

green18 likes this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

During the 'Season' , Friends and I have 'Game of Thrones' Sunday . I provide the HBO and Screen and they bring the food and drink ( Usually Chinese or Homade Mexican Food, etc.

green18 and USS656 like this.
  8. USS656

You should pick up a faceless coin before next season. The timing will be pefect for what is coming. :D

9. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

you have to few books...

10. USS656

LOL - Those are just the ones in my office. I have a few more bookcases in another room. It's only over the last couple years that I have started growing my collection in earnest. The cost of some of those books shown far outweigh what I normally spend on coins. My wife doesn't understand my fascination with the paper version when we both do the majority of our reading using our devices. I love them and am ocd about caring for them.

My most notorious book in my collection is "The Hunt for Red October" a 1st/1st - one of only 1000. It's claim to fame beside the story and author is this is the book mentioned here:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2009/05/did-you-buy-a-signed-tom-clancey-on-ebay-um.html

I have met Tom Clancy and he autographed for me Patriot Games not to far from the sub base in New London CT. When I thought I had an opportunity to pick up 1 of the 1000 original THfRO, I jumped at it. I read it the 1st time on my first sub patrol. I had hoped to meet him again to correct the wrong that had been done to the copy I have but didn't get the chance before he passed.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It was a real surprise when he (Clancy) passed Darryl.

12. USS656

I think by nature he was a bit of a recluse but I had also heard he had been sick. I watched his web site and the publishers site for some time hoping they would announce a date where I could connect and get the book resigned. Sad for his loss at a relatively young age! Would have been interested to see his reaction to the story and my attempt to get it signed by him. I think he would have liked that a former sub sailor had the book in a collection that wasn't going anywhere any time soon.

green18 likes this.
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

wow, I missed that:

Thomas Leo "Tom" Clancy, Jr. (April 12, 1947 – October 1, 2013)

14. Tom Maringer

Tom Maringer Senior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted