When did PCGS start Designating Prooflike?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by physics-fan3.14, Nov 30, 2018.

1. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

There is a difference between the Canadian strikes, which are intentionally made and sold as prooflike, and the accidental prooflike strikes which I am referring to. Canada, South Africa, and Russia all make prooflike strikes, which both TPGs grade as PL-64, for example. I'm talking about something more like a Morgan, which would be graded as MS-64 PL.

From PCGS? I know they label the UHR gold as PL, and they had a deal to label a few gold coins from a shipwreck as PL, but I hadn't seen anything else. There are a very few special coins which they gave PL to on a case-basis, but not a regular designation. You got a picture of your Kennedy?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

No, no ,no. Gold. Pffft. Like I'd ever own that monstrosity. No. Clad. 2015-D. NGC. I'll never intentionally own any PCGS either.

Darn. I tried to upload a pic here. It's too big for this forum software, A-GAIN!

4. physics-fan3.14

That's what I thought. NGC has been designating PL for decades now, for anything that warrants it.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Given the proof it's impossible not to believe it.

PCGS1.jpg Oct 2003.jpg PCGS 3.jpg Apr 2006.jpg

The numbers are right there in black and white, all ya have to do is read them.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Hmmm - I rather thought I did.

No there was not a specific date to the first part of your question but I answered it the best way I could. And said that. The second part of your question I answered specifically.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

That's not proof of your marketing claim

8. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

Thank your contribution GDJMSP. I found it very informative.

9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Actually, Charlton used that description in their catalog to describe special issue coins with mirrored fields. The mint just issued them as mint sets.

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

PCGS announced expanding their PL designations a little at their lunch at the ANA show. I thought it was more than just California gold, but maybe it was just a bunch of us sitting at the table grousing about the fact that they didn't expand it to include Liberty gold, AU58 coins, Barber coinage, and so on. You know, the stuff that customers would actually want them to do.

11. V. Kurt Bellman

Well there you go again, core CT members - proven once again that if you want to keep up, you NEED TO BE at things like ANA conventions. I wasn't on top of this one because, frankly, NOTHING about PCGS needs to cross my attention regardless.

12. physics-fan3.14

Finally some actual information! Do you know if there was a press release? Or perhaps a video-recording of the luncheon so that I can watch the announcement?

13. V. Kurt Bellman

C'mon, mannnnn. There are trains from Charleston to Philly. Been on one.

14. physics-fan3.14

I make it a point to cross the Mason-Dixon line as infrequently as possible. ;)

15. V. Kurt Bellman

In August? Lordy, I would hope so! Ya' gotzta stay no'th o' that thang!

16. physics-fan3.14

Man, I can't venture into Yankee-land. The accents sound like cheese-graters on my eardrums!

Steve66 likes this.
  17. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I'm trying to search their website for press releases made at the time of the ANA show and am coming up empty. Their news archive it a bit of a mess. Easiest thing to do would be shoot their customer service a quick message. When you get the response, you can do the same grousing we did in August.

18. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

This just today returned as PCGS64PL:

Source_153178372_Max.jpg

Jaelus and baseball21 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted