When Did “Silver Dollar” Become Routine?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Dec 5, 2021.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Large size notes were not in regular circulation when I was young.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

No and yes

4. Cheech9712

Or would you call it a cent or penny when your getting change dollar coin? Good thread

5. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Haha, to this day people still call SBAs silver dollars.

I was working cash register in high school and a coworker said he got a silver dollar in payment. I couldn't believe it, but when he showed me it was an SBA and he was explaining how it was pure silver. Didn't have the heart to say otherwise.

The other day I heard my dad call clad dollars "full dollars" instead of "silver dollar." That makes sense to me, as the half and full dollars are the largest coins, and neither are silver (after 1970 at least)

6. Cheech9712

Long live Doug

7. Cheech9712

Did you know Doug then. Trying to be cute

8. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I took my Scouts to VA (to camp for a trip to DC) and they were getting change (SBA's, Presidential dollars, etc.) and they were totally mystified. Nothing like a n impromptu numismatic moment!

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Ever actually try it? (I have) Yes with strong jaws and good teeth it is possible to make a very slight mark on a gold coin, at the real risk of breaking your teeth. What they would actually be checking for (if they ever actually did it, which I doubt) was whether it was gold plated lead, which would take tooth marks easily. So if you bit a gold coin and your teeth made marks it meant it was FAKE not real.

Kentucky, -jeffB and Inspector43 like this.
  10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It was absolutely, positively, without any doubt at all - way back when !

And yeah I am gonna getcha for that :p

11. Steve Shupe

Steve Shupe Active Member

Back in the 19th century specie (coins and metal money) had a greater value than paper money. Paper money was discounted in value because there was more risk with the paper money being good and the paper money could only be redeemed at the bank that issued the currency. Paper money was supposed to be backed by specie, but many times banks didn't have enough specie to back the paper. If people thought that a bank was having a problem, they would go to the bank and trade in the banks paper money for the Specie. A run on the bank caused by many people asking for specie, caused a lot of banks to fail, even when they did not have a problem until the run started. Silver (and gold) was king due to its intrinsic value so payments in "silver dollars" was always a preferred way to receive a payment.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Oooooh ! I think there may be 2 guys tryin to get you - even if ya are cute :D

Cheech9712 likes this.
  13. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Old and unique . . . priceless!

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Who’s the girl and I can’t see the date. Wish I had a dollar book. I would read that hard

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. Cheech9712

I love when you go way back when

Inspector43 likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Glad you said it...relieves me of the burden

17. Kentucky

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think you could put a tooth mark on a gold coin. Now if you had a coin made of lead (to be as heavy as gold...not really, but heavier than silver or nickel), you could put a dent in it.

18. Kentucky

I think 1939 was the last year of the "horse blankets"

Cheech9712 and Inspector43 like this.
  19. Cheech9712

Trying to be!!!!

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They were probably all gone from circulation by then. The small size notes started in 1928.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

agree with johnMilton. the silver dollar was the dollar for a long time, then came a gold dollar coin, then the dollar bill, safe to assume that's when they were called a "silver dollar" to differentiate which type of dollar it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted