When coins are retired (destroyed)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Long Beard, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I suspect the post-1982 cents are disappearing due to disintigration...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

you could be...
    upload_2020-4-6_16-55-15.jpeg

NSP, LA_Geezer, Cheech9712 and 2 others like this.
  4. Kentucky

5. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

6. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

Lots of good points here. Appreciate every one. The reason I posed this was that because of the mad rush on the banks trying to find West Point quarters, I've been getting tons of brand new pre-statehoods in change. I got several (from two locations) in change from my morning coffee dated 1978. To be sure, there's always that non-collector who inherited coins and spends them. But in the quantities I'm getting lately that could pretty much be ruled out.

7. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

My wife carries change and usually gives correct change so she can get bills back. I spread my change around the house when it gets too heavy in my pocket, but do occasionally try to give correct change.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

From the drawdown rate from that Federal Reserve graph, they have about a 27 year stockpile.

9. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Damn right. We love change

10. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

My wife is the opposite; she gives me all her change. I've had as much as $10 in mixed change from her visits to the stores. I feed it to the Walmart self checkout machines.

11. STU

STU Active Member

it was 1964 not 1968

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

There are some reasons why more are made that the number retired.

1. In general the economy has grown which requires more coins. Of course in recent years, coins and circulating money have become less important to the economy as more people use debit and credit cards, the "cashless society."

2. Some coins are destroyed or lost forever. Although the mint system didn't do away with them, they still must be replaced.

3. The mint makes a profit from the coins it produces. It's called seigniorage, and it actually reduces the national deficit. Some years ago, after the mint got done producing billions of Sacagawea and presidential Dollars and sent them to storage, someone asked why they didn't destroy them because they were unwanted. One answer was destroying them were add to the national debt. As crazy as it sounds, the government looks like it's doing better if it wastes money on storing coins no one wants.

Draft saved Draft deleted