When bank lobbies reopen...

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by manny9655, May 7, 2020.

1. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

In my area and I think most areas, the bank lobbies are closed due to COVID-19 and you can only make transactions through the drive-up windows, where no rolled coins are allowed. I have a sneaking hunch that once the inside of the banks open up again, we will start to see some good coin roll finds because a lot of people will be cashing in coins they have kept for a while, possibly even their collections, because they're short of cash. What do some of you think?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GenX Enthusiast

GenX Enthusiast Forensic grammatician

Stands to reason; every time people are short, coins go to the bank. I have a pretty good load to drop off, myself.

manny9655 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I have coming up to $700 worth of cents that need to be dumped. Of course, they're all searched. I hope the lobbies open soon.

5. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Interesting. My lobbies at my bank branches and my credit union branches are still open. They just social distance. Where you guys at?

6. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I'm guessing that the "average" public is using CoinStar for larger
    amounts. I was at Wal Mart last week and the lady in front of me
    fed the self-checkout register over $10 in cents, nickels and dimes.
    I myself fed it $2 worth. Our bank/credit union lobbies have been
    closed since 3rd week of March here in N.E. Tenn. I think they still
    are. Some drive thru's are 15+ cars backed up.

7. furryfrog02

So, my pick up CU is open. They are observing social distancing and only allowing a few members in at a time. No problem.

My dump CU's lobby is closed and only open by appointment. I don't think they'd take kindly to me asking for an appointment just to dump a crap ton of coins.

I am located in MD.

8. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I would bet the same thing as the OP stated. You're gonna see a lot of people cashing in on their change because they've depleted what little they have already had during this pandemic. I was thinking to myself that I hope they open up soon so I can go get some change to search and I have no idea why, I guess it's a crh'ing sickness lol because I'm setting next to 3 buckets full of copper cents I need to go through.

9. furryfrog02

14.7% unemployment. People are definitely going to be cashing in as soon as they can. Sad but true.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  10. Bambam8778

Even when I do hunt, I don't grab a lot like all of you. I've got $150 laying around waiting for them to open. Hopefully something good awaits me! :)

11. furryfrog02

I get $100 in cents a week. Wasn’t bad when this started but then my dump bank closed their lobby and the bags of coins have been piling up at my house haha.

12. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I just make an appointment with my bank so I can go inside. I call when I arrive and they open the door for me. I'm locked in but no big deal. I conduct my business, then leave.

13. Bambam8778

What's the business, dumping coins or picking up? If it's dumping, they don't mind?

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My normal banking, dump and buy coins. If they get rolls from me they don't have to pay for them from Loomis.

Bambam8778 likes this.
  15. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Pity the poor soul on a cent roll hunt on the heels of Furry's grand deposit. I had an odd $25 cent box search the other night. No wheats and believe it or not, not one single copper penny in the entire box. The box after that was nothing to sneeze at though. A fistful of wheaties and enough beautiful unc early 60's coinage to choke Secretariat.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  16. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

In MD, only BofA lobbies seem to be open. Cashier told me no coin orders, and they have not seen any 2020's. I think the armored car companies call the shots.

17. furryfrog02

I am in MD too. Still getting orders but no place to dump. Haven’t seen any 2020s.

18. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

I have seen 2 2020 nickels and 2 Bat Quarters. Those are the only 2020 coins I have seen in circulation. The nickels were in rolls and the Quarters were change from the 7-11. I can turn in rolled change in the drive thru if they have a commercial lane with a drawer. I usually do quarters $200 a time. Haven't done nickels yet. I may do them in a Coinstar and use the Home Depot gift card option. That will keep me from using my HD Credit card.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  19. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I'm in the Akron, OH area

Draft saved Draft deleted