When are MADs worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SorenCoins, Oct 21, 2018.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Here I have two Jefferson nickel MADs that appear to be stronger than typical, seeming to show a bit of design creep. When are these worth keeping? I know they are very common but how much does it take for them to be slightly valuable?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Legoman1

Legoman1 Active Member

At least 10% off center, and for part of the design to be missing.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Legoman1 likes this.
  5. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

So I would like to know the answer to the OP's question, When are MAD's worth keeping/become valuable over face?

SorenCoins likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Think of it this way: when does it become valuable to you? When would you see one on eBay and actually consider buying it? That might be your best answer.

SorenCoins and Mountain Man like this.
  7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

When the die is misaligned far enough that part of the design it off the edge of the planchet. (these don't happen for long because if it is that far off the face of the die is smacking the edge of the collar with every cycle of the press.)

8. SorenCoins

Interesting. These two have a very small amount of design creep but surprisingly the 71-D still has a rim, just very thin. I think I'll keep these two, I like the look of them :)

9. Seattlite86

This is the most pronounced MAD I’ve seen on a Lincoln cent. I just found it. I doubt it has much of a premium at all, but to me it’s definitely a keeper. I keep a few MADs that don’t have a premium, but I still like them.

91EA0997-BFA1-45D1-9029-61472F721891.jpeg A9438FD3-4E74-4667-B4B2-D459BFA8FE6C.jpeg

SorenCoins and Bambam8778 like this.
  10. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

In general, a MAD should 'look' at least
    like a 3%-5% Off Center on the obverse.

The OP's nickels are not significant enough
    of a MAD to have any premium, imo.

Not a criticism, just an observation.
    Good eye to find 'em and pick 'em out,
    but not good enough for others to want
    to buy them, imo.

SorenCoins likes this.
  11. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

The only MAD's I keep are the ones that cut into the design like these I pulled CRHing:
    1983P MAD.jpg 1982P MAD.jpg 1983P MAD Nickel.jpg

12. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I saved a few rolls of what I thought were nice mad's and then the more I got in to coin roll hunting I realized that they were not worth keeping. Kind of like the one you pictured. The other ones @furryfrog02 posted are nice and would be worth putting in a 2X2.

13. SorenCoins

Thanks Fred. I think I'll still keep em at least for a while until I maybe find some super pronounced ones like @furryfrog02.
    I just tend to like the look of them. How do you guys usually store coins like this, where they aren't quite worth putting in a 2x2, but still would like to have it organized?

14. Seattlite86

Get a roll or tube for MAD coins. Personally, I'd say that if it's not worth a 2x2, it might not be worth keeping...

SorenCoins and furryfrog02 like this.
  15. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I agree, if you don't want it in a 2X2 it's probably not worth keeping. Now you may ask yourself, Bam, why do you keep coins in tubes then? Well it's simple, I am a little bit of a coin hoarder and when and if I ever get around to going through everything I keep, I am sure I would put them in a 2X2.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted