When are bills w/ consecutive SN "keepers"?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by dave_in_delaware, Dec 27, 2016.

1. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

I have some general questions I'd like to ask everyone.

I know that anyone can go to their bank branch and have them order a pack of "brand new" $1, $2, $5, $50, whatever bills. Chances are they'll arrive in consecutive order (I know not always, but probably).

As far as I know, the bank can't request a specific series (year) to be sent to them. So, most likely, it'll be the most recent series (say, 2013 for $2 bills)....

So, are the brand new (recent) series of bills with consecutive SNs worth keeping? Or are they just spenders? I'm going on the assumption (yes, I know) that since anyone can order a pack of bills from the bank and they'll probably get the most recent series, this isn't collectible unless they hold onto them for 100 years.

Which brings me to my next question: how "old" does the series need to be before they're keepers instead of spenders?

Also, how many consecutive SN bills are worth keeping? Obviously if someone has a complete "set" of 50 or 100 consecutive bills then they'd be keepers (assuming they're older and worth keeping in the first place). But what if there are only 2 bills with consecutive SNs? Or 5? Is that small "set" worth keeping?

For example, I have these consecutive $2 bills so far:

(50) Series 2013 (L 09118051-100 A)
    (73) Series 2013 (L 09107501-73 A)
    (3) Series 2009 (D 12563090-92 A)
    (2) Series 2003A (C 04598766&67 A)
    (2) Series 1995 (F 23414832&33 B)
    (2) Series 1976 (C 15568096&97 A)
    (2) Series 1976 (C 11896059&60 A)

They're all in very good and "crisp" shape. I also have others but their condition is slightly less desirable (one character on bill is always circled on 5 bills, or strong crease down center of 3 bills, etc).

Please let me know which are keepers and which are spenders.

Thank you! As always, your knowledge and opinions are much appreciated!

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I would say they are all spenders. My good friend does the 'wheres George' with $2 bills, he is number 1 on the site for them. He keeps very few...bookends, binary,etc

dave_in_delaware and Paul M. like this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

If you ended up with a bunch of birthday notes, that might be cool. Like, for example, 07041950 through 07042000.

dave_in_delaware likes this.
  5. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

We tend to get excited when we get bills with consecutive serial numbers but that doesn't mean the are keepers.

dave_in_delaware likes this.
  7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Any value is in relation to how many folks would want to buy them.
    I have five, 1934 $100.00 bills with consecutive serial numbers. They graded 64-66.
    They will bring more if I sell them one at a time. Very few wish to pay a premium for them being consecutive.

Amos 811 and dave_in_delaware like this.
  8. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I agree with @ldhair . There are very few times when having consecutive notes adds to their value.

dave_in_delaware and ldhair like this.
  9. dave_in_delaware

dave_in_delaware Active Member

OK, thanks everyone. I was being too hopeful I guess. I'll keep them just for my own collection (not the value).

It is exciting to get consecutive SNs, especially ones that go together that you received from different banks. I find that to be very interesting.

Amos 811 likes this.
  10. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

Draft saved Draft deleted