When a sticker is worth $20000.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ArthurK11, Oct 4, 2015.

1. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Not even a "best offer" option? That buy it now will stay there for a long time. ;)

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I'm convinced Heritage just uses eBay as free / low-cost advertising for coins like this. Anyone in their right mind would never purchase a coin like that on eBay. They would see that it was offered by Heritage Auctions, give them a call, and ask them their best price.

It's hard to beat the "exposure" to millions of people that eBay offers for sellers, even ones as big as Heritage.

5. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

And sometimes you just never know when a dumb fish will come along either.

There are plenty of dealers who make a living buying on HA and reselling on eBay and elsewhere at a markup. So it certainly happens fairly frequently.

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

But it's a CAC sticker!

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  7. brg5658

You missed my point. That seller on eBay IS HERITAGE!!

8. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Not all 65s are created equal; certainly the more expensive one looks far nicer to my eye and I assume JA as well. Not to mention that the coin doubles in price at 66. I would say that they are both priced accurately.

WLH22, ToughCOINS and Endeavor like this.
  9. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I don't think he missed your point. I think he was expanding on what you said by saying that Heritage is just getting in on the action others were taking advantage of. Which is they make some sales at over-marked prices on eBay as well as get free advertising, which you pointed out. Selling on eBay might be secondary to advertising, but it still sweetens the bottom line. Win-win for Heritage.

treylxapi47 likes this.
  10. treylxapi47

treylxapi47 Well-Known Member Dealer

Bingo.

Endeavor likes this.
  11. Endeavor

Excellent point. Although I'm sure the sticker plays a role in HA increasing the price, it probably doesn't account for the full difference. I agree the eye appeal is better on the stickered slab. Which might explain why HA had that one checked by CAC and not the other one.

12. brg5658

A coin in the price range of the one in the OP is not on eBay to "sucker" people into paying high prices. At that price point, it's clearly a cheap form of advertising. So my point stands from my original post: "Anyone in their right mind would never purchase a coin like that on eBay."

13. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I'm quite sure both of them went to CAC, but only one got the nod.

14. Endeavor

Ah ok. I thought they stickered everything.

15. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Imagine if it had a gold bean!!

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Not everything submitted automatically passes.

17. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

brg is righter than you think. Forget about buying and selling stuff on eBay. It IS, and will always be, the CHEAPEST advertising in the world.

For a FREE listing, you get up to 12 images, plenty of room to write a massive description, global exposure, and enough opportunities for weasel-wording to draw buyers in for much, much more of your inventory if you are clever.

You need only say something like "...also see our xxxyyyzzz, listed today!"

People will contact you, that item will sell outside of eBay, possibly for more than if you had listed the item for competitive bidding, because there is no control and no transparency for that "mystery" transaction. The item may never be listed, despite the announcement, but the email will ding and the phone will ring.

brg5658, eddiespin and rickmp like this.
  18. Endeavor

Well yea, the primary purpose is most likely to advertise. I agree with you there. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't like to sell it sell through eBay if they could either. I'm just curious how much of a mark up does this coin have over what you would consider market value? I'll wait for you to answer that before I continue.

19. Endeavor

I didn't know it was pass (sticker), no pass (no sticker). I thought it was undergraded (sticker) not undergraded (different color sticker). I would have known how it works if I cared about stickers, but I've never given a damn.

20. Endeavor

Is he righter? :D

Well yea, it's pretty common sense what you said about getting buyers.

21. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Green sticker = A/B (pass)
    No sticker = C or not good enough (no pass)
    Gold sticker = undergraded

I don't care either but it's still good to know ;-)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Endeavor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted