When a coin makes you realize you know nothing.

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by svessien, Mar 16, 2022.

1. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Leu lots arrived today. They were all great, better than expected.
    One of the coins that I had felt a slight buyers remorse about, was a coin from the Sophene Kingdom. It was an impulse buy, and could have become a very expensive one, as my bid was supposed to be 55 fr, but a fat finger mistake made to be 455 fr.

E64A5F65-103A-4A8B-B12D-CCFF32F6AB9D.jpeg

So, I «won» the coin for 95 franc, feeling a bit stupid. And it felt like a good time to find out where the Sophene Kingdom was:
    4EA79998-820C-4EB2-8217-1FDEDD2160C3.jpeg
    The Sophene Kingdom is said to be the first Armenian area where they started producing coins after doing trade with the Greeks. Source:
    https://coinweek.com/ancient-coins/coinweek-ancient-coin-series-ancient-coinage-of-armenia/

I now try to understand who the ruler, Mithridates I, was. But that is proving difficult. Nothing in my BMC books, or other books. Wikipedia takes me to another Mithridates, I suspect. Then there’s Parthian Mithridates around the same period. Confusing. It seems I have to shell out another 85 euro to get the Frank Kovacs book about Armenian coins. This coin just walked in the door, and told me I know nothing. I can’t take it.

Mithradates Sophene.jpg

KINGS OF SOPHENE. Mithradates I, circa 2nd half of 2nd century BC.Tetrachalkon (Bronze, 18 mm, 6.86 g, 12 h), Arkathiokerta (?). Draped bust of Mithradates I to left, bearded and wearing bashlyk tied with a diadem; before, countermark: ('p' in Aramaic). Rev. ΒΑΣΙΛЄΩC - MΙΘPAΔATOY Zeus standing front, head to left, holding eagle in his right hand and long scepter in his left. Kovacs 24. For countermark, Kovacs p. 80, 28. Very rare. Thick deposits, otherwise, very fine.

What a great coin.

Please show coins that have prompted the purchase of a new book!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Listen...you Ancient coin enthusiasts are amongst the most knowledgeable. It's fun reading along in your discussions.

4. kirispupis

kirispupis Well-Known Member

I was rather surprised to find this coin. Of course I was aware of Paeonia, but I hadn't known there was a Hellenistic era king named Leon. He was the son of Audoleon and did a decent job of getting the kingdom back together. I found this paper that discusses his coins.

Per that paper, only twelve coins of Leon exist, and of those only two are in private hands. Three different denominations have been found, with this one being the smallest. The paper mentions only one copy of this denomination, but I don't think this coin is that one, so there are at least two. :) Given that the paper mentions the known copy as being in poor condition, I'm assuming this one is the BoT.

I have a similar coin arriving from Leu, issued by the Bithynian king Ziailas. That one seems to have at least four copies in private hands, with mine being the BoT. According to SwissPost, Ziailas is enjoying a flight over the Atlantic at this moment.

Leon.jpg
    Kings of Paeonia, Leon Æ 13mm. 278-250 BC. Wreathed head of Dionysos(?) to right / Head of lion to left; ΛEΩN to left, sword to right. Cf. AMNG III/11, p. 206. 1.91g, 13mm, 6h.
    Ex Roma

5. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

OK - I haven't bought the book yet, but I do add a coin of the Sophene Kingdom. This one appealed to me as it comes from my favorite time period - the age of Sulla and First Mithridatic War with Mithridates VI of Pontus. Like you I am stuck: I know nothing about this coin. The Wikipedia's list of Kings of Sophene ends with "Artanes (or Arsakes) (reign ended ca. 95 BCE)".
    Kings of Sophene Arkathias I.jpg Kings of Sophene, Arkathiokerta (?) mint, Mithradates II Philopator, 89-85 BC, Dichalkon Æ 17mm, 3.44g

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  6. svessien

svessien Senior Member

@kirispupis and @Sulla80 : Great coins!
    Although these are not big and flashy tets, or shining gold, they are important historical documents, as these coins are some of the few sources there are, telling us about the excistence of these kings and kingdoms.
    I guess we are ancient coins collectors because we are drawn towards the mysteries in history. These three coins on this thread are gateways into those mysteries. Thanks for sharing!

+VGO.DVCKS, ominus1, Sulla80 and 3 others like this.
  7. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

You might enjoy this 1983 article from Paul Z. Bedoukian on Coins of the Sophene Kingdom.
    You will find a little on Mithradates I Callinicus (96-70 BC)

"Several coins have been attributed to this king. It is curious that he ruled during the period when Tigranes had gained control of both Sophene and Commagene. It may be that Mithradates was allowed to strike coins even though he recognized the overlordship of Tigranes. The same situation seems to have occurred with his successor, Antiochus."

Interesting the P. Bedoukian only references 1 Mithridates - perhaps someone later has decided there were two with the same name during this time period....

+VGO.DVCKS, svessien and Valentinian like this.
  8. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Pretty cool coin Svein. Didn’t know nothing about it.

Last time it happened to me, it was on my old Gibson but didn’t cost me anything…;)

+VGO.DVCKS and svessien like this.
  9. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Thank you!
    Now this is exactly where confusion kicks in. Leu can’t be referring to Mithradates I Kallinkos of Commagene, as his rule was in the 1st century BC, while this Mithradates of Sophene is mid to late 2nd century BC. Judging from the sources online, like the article you posted, it seems like new information and interpretation has appeared. Think I’m going to end up with the Kovacs book, as this is a bit intriguing after all.:)

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted