Wheel Marks - What are they and why does NGC even care?!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by paddyman98, Dec 24, 2016.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi all,
    Every now and then I see as part of a NGC attribution the words WHEEL MARK
    I guess it's bad enough for them to give this designation.. for me they are annoying!

Here is their definition - Quote - "Wheel marks are a concentrated area of hairlines that are caused by the rubber wheels in coin counting machines. When there is insufficient spacing between them, the wheels can essentially polish a small portion of the surface of the coin." closed quote

I want to share this webpage with you - https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/4412/Wheel-Marks/

Here are my Error "WHEEL MARK" coins from my collection
    455080-018+.JPG 455080-020+.JPG 2443663-004+.JPG 2591113-004+.JPG 2591926-002+.JPG 2646920-008.JPG 3443077-003+2.JPG 3443077-004+2.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Wheel marks are very easily overlooked, even victimizing dealers sometimes.

It's far easier to show someone in person, but I'll try to describe how to detect them in words . . . a difficult task , at best. Give me a few minutes, and I'll try to come up with something in a subsequent post.

- Mike

Paul M. and paddyman98 like this.
  4. ToughCOINS

Here's the best I can do in writing . . .

Because of their fineness, and perfectly parallel orientation, the wheel marks usually are apparent only from two opposite vantage points, both 90 degrees to the lines, and at shallow viewing angles.

Be sure to rotate the coin completely around all 360 degrees of arc to make sure you are not missing wheel marks that may be there, as they can be extremely difficult to detect.

- Mike

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
    Kasia, Insider, Santinidollar and 2 others like this.
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Interesting.. Thanks!

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

TC, I've been told that it is easier to spot wheel marks by examining the coin under a halogen lamp. Is that true?

Chris

7. ToughCOINS

Sorry Paddy, I accidentally wrote "extremely difficult to overlook" and have since edited to "extremely difficult to detect".

I wish they were difficult to overlook. I think that would make everyone happier.

Paul M. and paddyman98 like this.
  8. ToughCOINS

Affirmative, but seldom is a halogen available when buying coins.

gronnh20, Insider and paddyman98 like this.
  9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I wonder if there are certain types of errors, like the ones you posted, that are more prone to having wheel marks?

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Error coins seem to be prone to these marks due to the often irregularity of the error's shape.

"Wheel marks" are generally due to the counting wheels but they can be made when any rotating wheel comes into contact with the coin's surface. Much of the time (easiest to detect) they leave a bright PL patch on the coin that is especially visible when the coin is held in certain orientations to the light (mentioned above).

The most deceptive wheel marks are usually found on frosty Unc Washington quarters, dimes, and Half dollars. On these, the patch is more like a series of parallel hairlines that blend in with the surface. Although often caused by a "wheel" of some sort they don't meet the criteria. When they are present, coins that look like gems are just downgraded as most collectors cannot detect them at all and the coins look nice.

mynamespat and paddyman98 like this.
  11. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

Paul M. and Insider like this.
  12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Direct sunlight works very nicely, as well. The key is lots of lumens in a small area.

13. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'll need to try that. Cannot imagine (?) anyone at a coin show or dark grading room walking outside to look at a coin in the sunshine. Hope it isn't a rainy day...LOL.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Maybe not a show, but I've done it at a shop before I've purchased (with permission, of course!).

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted