Wheaties cereal foreign coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mountain Man, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

How many of you remember when Wheaties, the breakfast of champions, put foreign coins in their boxes? I think it was around the early 1950s. I ran across two that I have still in the cellophane wrapper. Sure brought back some memories.

DSCN1313.jpg DSCN1314.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ernie11

ernie11 Member

I'm not old enough to remember when this happened but I had a few of these given to me when I was a kid, and in fact your two coins above are the same coins (and maybe the same year, like 1953?) that I received.

4. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I'm familiar with those and the Wheaties promotion but I never got any of them myself. We ate Special K or Frosted Flakes. Some time we managed to get Super Sugar Crisps (later became Super Golden Crisps when sugar became a bad word for children's cereals.)

5. masicylist

masicylist New Member

I have several of these Wheaties cello-packaged coins recently found in my grandparents estate. Nice to know a bit of the history on these. Thanks.

6. JPD3

JPD3 Well-Known Member

Wow, I remember eating Wheaties when I spent sleepovers at my mom's parents. I even remember a squabble 2 of my young uncles got into over who got to keep the coin from the box. Granddad settled the problem. He took it from them and pocketed the coin. Later after breakfast he reached into his pocket pulled out the coin, put a finger to his lips not to tell and gave it to me. Can't remember what country it was from or whatever happened to the coin (play All in the Family "Those Were the Days" song, now :)).

Draft saved Draft deleted