Wheat Penny Value and “The Future”

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Speeksoft, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Speeksoft

Speeksoft New Member

Hey there pals,

Speeksoft here asking for life advice from the only community I trust, the online US coin community forum!

Here goes:

If I have rolls of about uncirculated red 1944 wheat penny’s is that something worth holding onto? I figure because of the large number minted and the relative ease of acquiring a fine example of the 1944 (I have rolls of other years surrounding 1944 in the same condition) I don’t imagine their value going past a few bucks even years from now.

I like having them, they are wonderful examples but I don’t need so many. Should I just cash them into the coin shop and use those resources down other avenues? I have very limited storage (and brain) space.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I would just put them away. A coin shop will give you a few cents each. Probably the price for just normal wheat cents, they take in.
    Welcome to Coin Talk. Cool place to have fun.

wxcoin likes this.
  4. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Try a trade ad in Numismatic News and see what you are offered. One roll for best offer in circulated silver coins or semi-key dates.

rte likes this.
  5. Packrat

Packrat Well-Known Member

Why would one advertise wheat cents under any silver category?

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Search eBay for completed sales of 1944 Lincoln cent rolls. You'll find that you will probably net about $20 by selling them there, and you'll only have to ship one item by selling the whole roll. Be sure to take a picture of all the coins out of the roll.

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Rolls of late date wheats will never be worth more than a few bucks. $20 for the roll, as messydesk indicates, is probably a good deal.

Remember, these were minted by the billions (1944 has a mintage of 1.4 billion). Extremely high grade specimens are the only ones worth much.

It was extremely popular in the 50's to buy and hoard rolls of coins. This style of collecting has largely fallen out of fashion.

If you were interested, you could crack a couple rolls open and search for varieties, but that is a time consuming past-time, and often will yield no results.

8. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I have a roll of Rushmore quarters 2013-D that I won at a coin club meeting. Never have opened them and I'm keeping them for posterity.

9. thebeav

thebeav Lifer

Yes, AU '44 rolls are probably not worth selling. I would bury them and then, in 30 or 40 years, when you run across them again, you have a better chance of getting some value. Very little risk for a possible reward.

Stevearino likes this.
  10. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I'd go through the roll and look for any high grade MS coins that could grade 66 or 67. If you don't find any then the roll isn't probably worth keeping as there are many thousands of lower grade MS coins available.

Stevearino and BadThad like this.
  11. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Bid is $25/roll so yes, they are readily available.

12. Read the post-the suggestion is to offer a trade for junk silver or semi keys Lincolns

13. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Posterity is going to have one hell of a great collection, since everybody seems to be saving them for him! (ok, or her) :smuggrin:

Stevearino likes this.
  14. Ana Silverbell

Ana Silverbell Well-Known Member

Speeksoft was hoping you were "keeping them for" prosperity.

I would keep the rolls but if I were to sell them, I'd break them up and sell individual coin's to collectors who are trying to fill a hole with a nice AU/UNC example. Other option is put them in a 2x2 and give them to selected kids and relatives to encourage them toward collecting.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. Rushmore

Rushmore Coin Addict

I thought about selling them but decided to keep them since I live in SD hence my CT handle.

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

17. Timnryleemclain

Timnryleemclain New Member

1957D penny here and the D is under the 5 where as all the rest I have is slightly left. Between the 9 & 5. Cant find anything like it on the web. Any help greatly appreciated. Thx

18. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Because the seller is looking to trade for silver.
    I thought that was implied reading between the lines.:p
    AND this topic was almost off the radar back in 2018.

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Help with what, moving it back, lol? Respectfully, just read about these, they were hand-punched into the dies, then. That means, at over a billion minted, some tens of thousands of dies, easy. Do you get what you stumbled across, now? How many of those billion have you looked at, a thousand, a hundred, ten or twenty? There are parameters. One such, the spacing has to be just so. Another, can't be pushed up against a digit. But such is quite normal in these cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted