Wheat penny on silver dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by frank komsisky, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

By Felicia!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

See ya!

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I think that is the problem lately, we have run all the troll traffic to other Forums.
    I say feed them more, get a few laughs everyday.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    Noah Worke likes this.
  5. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

Are you jokester?

6. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Buck three eight-five for this one, Frank. That's just the going rate, adjusted for inflation.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm not trying to feed the trolls but this is why I repeat...these people need validation so they can sell it somewhere using your info from here that says it is legit. So, we all need to be on the same page so this does not happen.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You can't have 2 reverses of different denominations on the same coin.
    They would have to use 2 different reverse dies at the mint. And the coins are different sizes. You can have a dime planchet accidentally struck on wheat cent dies but there would be little or no rim.
    When I was a kid (late 1960's) I found a merc and a wheat by the freight railroad tracks. Someone put the coins on top of each other and the train turned it into one coin. I showed it to my friends older brother who collected coins, and he was like thanks. I was too shy to say, I am just showing it to you, I'm not giving it to you.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Buck three-eighty five. Don't sell it for less. I don't mind if he says he got it from horse coin collector, I stand by it.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Always submit coins such as your for grading and authentication with one of the top companies, then you can throw it in our face. Good luck.

rte likes this.
  11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Actually it could be shipped to almost any TPG and get the same answer being given. I think many of us have obtained objects we consider worth large amounts that later fail to do so. Perhaps the holder of the coin was convinced by a seller who was also told the same thing. The current owner will have difficulty with sell prices and could reconsider the value of this forum ( well free advice) and take a deeper look into coin knowledge. The person may feel we are trying to "steal" it ourselves after all he does not know each of our histories in coins. Jim ( I week to permanent retirement I hope)

Oldhoopster and paddyman98 like this.
  12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It sounds so ominous when you put it that way, though. Call it "The Never-Ending Vacation".

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Yeah, but now he can spend more time on here keeping the rest of us under control.

14. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Buh bye. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Sorry I went off on a tangent. The reason you can't have 2 reverse dies, is it won't work in the machinery. You have to have a matched set. Front and back. Even if such an error occurred, the speed that the machines run, would have produced thousands of these coins before the error was discovered and production halted. The mint has to document everything, because they are producing "money" and using precious metals. Everything is written down. This error would have been documented, how many were produced, how many were melted down, how many were released accidentally into circulation. None of this documentation exists, if it did this would be a prominent feature in every coin book for the last 80 years.
    You did a few things right. You came in here, you produced a photo you asked a question. Now yes there are times when experts don't agree about a certain error, because there are many factors, variables, criteria in the production of coins and some times there can be a gray area of misunderstanding.
    In this case, the experts have told you what you have is a magician's coin. There are dozens of threads here on the same topic you can read about, or go to Google or Wiki and find an article explaining what you have. The people here are honest and straight forward and are not going to lie about what you have. "Heh heh heh. Let's have some fun with the new guy." That's not how it works around here. Coin collectors are very serious people. When you get a coin like this that you are not sure what you have, instead of believing the impossible rarity worth millions that you have, you have to reverse engineer and think how was such a coin produced.
    Read about the minting process, etc. Everyone always wants to think they have a 1 in a billion coin. And rarities do pop up once in a while. But you were told by experts what your coin is and the only mistake you made, you refused to listen to them.

And I like first posted, even if it isn't a magician's coin, there are several ways to smash the 2 coins together and make it appear like 1 coin.

Always weigh any coin you have a question about on an accurate digital scale. Usually that can give you the answer you need right away. Sometimes not but having more information is better than having less information.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I think both Salvatore and Frank probably gave up on CoinTalk.. They didn't like or respect any of our responses..

To the both of them I say..
    223330-Im-97-Sure-You-Dont-Like-Me.jpg

Oldhoopster likes this.
  17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Too bad. A lot of members took the time to post accurate information to help these guys. Hate it when newbies don't understand the incredible resource they have here and blow it away but I guess everyone makes their own decisions

When I was a YN in the 70s, I would have gone nuts to have access to even a fraction of the info you guys share with people.

Wonder if they're back on FB or IG learning from the "get rich from pocket change" YouTube hacks? :facepalm:

jamor1960 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted