Wheat pennies.

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Detecto92, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

The wheat pennies one finds in change.....are the spent, or are they original?

What I mean is, I suppose people spend the wheat pennies they have, but I wonder how many are from original circulating?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Confused...if they were being spent wouldn't that count as circulation? Once they are pulled and put in tubes or flips, tossed in the garbage, or whatever I would consider that no longer circulating. Anything before that, no matter how long it sits in a coin jar or car ash tray, as long as it is eventually spent. I would consider it still in circulation.

4. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

They might be still from circulation or they might be from people spending there wheat pennies.

5. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

It seems unlikely that a coin from pre-1958 would have remained in circulation constantly. I'm sure if you find a wheatie in change today it was spent from an old hoard either by a collector that didn't feel like selling something with such a nominal value or maybe a relative that found someone's old coffee can full.
    IDK though.

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I disagree with that. I have seen some pretty worn wheaties which I could easily imagine being in circulation from day one.

silentnviolent, Pi man, Kasia and 2 others like this.
  7. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

couldn't think of anything else huh? Sometimes less is more detecto

joewhite73 likes this.
  8. How many? About 6.23 x 10^23.

Pi man likes this.
  9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

They likely sat around in coffee tins, jars etc for a long time and got cashed in in Coinstars or bank machines over time.

10. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Again just like V nickels or buffalo nickels and up until 4 years ago i just to get franklins and walking liberties all the time it just kinda like people dont really pay an attention to what they are dishing out in thier change !! and grandpas coins sometimes end up in the change at the local store or bank !! wheats are a mix of being circulated and that happening !!

11. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Once a cent has been spent it is "circulated". Now the amount of circulation certainly can vary for each individual coin. Some sit in tills, rolls, bags or cans and jars anywhere from a few seconds at a time to years and years. I did come across a few 1972 AU58+ sliders in a batch of rolls I got at my bank recently. Although not wheats, they are an example of coins that probably were removed from circulation for a time. Then cashed in at some point.

Although wheat cents are harder to find in bank rolls, I do get one on occasion. Recently found a 1903 IHC in a bank roll.

12. Sean the Coin Collector

i still like to look for wheats when i have time i mean they arent to hard to find and a lot of other things have dried up since silver went up so much i havent hardy been able to find any silver coins, so wheats and nickels have been the only things to look for really !!

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Frankly there are a lot of people out there that could even see the wheat back and could care less about it and just spend them.

Pi man likes this.
  14. Sean the Coin Collector

i would agree with you completely im the guy when im with friends of family who see them get a nice coin in thier hand or pull it out to use as change and takes it and replaces it with another coin !!

15. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

Recently I went to the bank and it turned out that someone had spent $25 of wheat pennies with a few Indian heads in it! Unfortunately we could not buy it though.:(

16. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

I have six IHC's on my desk that are going back to the bank - these are beater pieces from a lot of cents I bought a couple of years ago - figure they might make someone's day finding them. So be on the prowl.

17. Doug Rogers

Doug Rogers Member

18. Doug Rogers

Doug Rogers Member

I believe that a lot of wheaties found in circulation today have been so for quite some time. Although you may only find one or two per ten rolls you search, they seemly show up now and then. A lot of folks don't have time for pennies, so they don't pay much or any attention to them, leaving a few behind for those who want them, like us. From time to time, folks also give up on coin searching, so that helps us too.

19. jon12

jon12 Young Numismatic

Most of the time you find 10 wheat pennies in a box. Once though I found 30 wheat pennies in a box.

TypicalCreepahx likes this.
  20. Andy M.

Andy M. Member

I was at my local Safeway yesterday and saw a wheat penny in the clear charity container at the cash register. No way I could get my hands on it. :(

TypicalCreepahx likes this.
  21. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

I JUST WANNA SMASH IT OPEN

Draft saved Draft deleted