Wheat pennies and buffalo nickles

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Heather Isabell, May 4, 2016.

1. Heather Isabell

Heather Isabell New Member

Hello,
    I am not a coin expert and I just found some. I have some questions about these coins. The buffalo nickles don't seen to show a date. The wheat pennies don't have a mint stamp under the date...Are they worth anything?

Kentucky likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Need photos.

Steve

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

If the Buffalo's do not have a date then they were simply worn off from age and time/handling. If the cents do not have mint mark, it is probably because they were made in Philadelphia which did not use mint marks. Only Denver and San Francisco had mint marks. Do though, check the reverse of the Buffalo nickels at the bottom of the reverse to see if there is a mint mark there. This could make them a bit more valuable and to the horror of my friends here, if they do have a mint mark, you might want to invest in Nic-a-date. It is an acid based solution which, when a drop is put where the date is, it will "raise" the date to make it possibly readable. A 1914D or 1921S Buffalo still has a nice premium with a "restored date if this process is done correctly. And there is always a possibility of maybe finding a 1918/1917D overdate this way. But please do post close up photos so we can give you a better idea of what you might have.

Collecting Nut and rickmp like this.
  5. Heather Isabell

2 of these do have dates, and one doesn't. If that helps 20160504_105317.jpg 20160504_105526.jpg 20160504_105752.jpg 20160504_105836.jpg

Attached Files:

6. Heather Isabell

I also have this. Do you know what this is?

Attached Files:

df oieddno edinssd likes this.
  7. noname

noname Well-Known Member

The second one looks like a 1945? 20 centavo US occupied Filipino coin, close ups on that coin may help. Worth a bit over melt.

8. Heather Isabell

This is a 1936 one, it is the only one I can see a D below the date, the other ones I just can't tell.

Attached Files:

9. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

The 1 is WW2 Filipino. Have 1 with a little better detail. Took a while to find out what it is

10. Heather Isabell

Attached Files:

11. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Yep, definitely 1945, this coin was minted in Denver, and shipped to the Philippines as currency. the coin is 75 percent silver, it looks low grade, and worn, so this coin is not worth much.

12. Heather Isabell

I found a D stamp on this wheat penny as well.

Attached Files:

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CoinTalk, keep it up, ask questions, keep us on our toes.

Draft saved Draft deleted