Wheat cents lot purchases

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by OnEWB, Mar 9, 2016.

1. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

What is a good price to pay for a lot of Wheat pennies? Cherry picked vs non picked? A guy wants $40 for $1,000 wheat cents starting around 1920's.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

There are two things that need clarification:
    1) I assume you mean "searched" vs. "unsearched". Anyone claiming that coins are unsearched is full of it. He/she may not have, but somewhere along the chain of ownership, you can be sure that they were searched.
    2) I assume that the seller wants $40 for 1,000 coins ($10 face value), and the $1,000 is just a typo. If not, please give me the sellers contact info. :woot::woot::woot:

Chris

Kapimono likes this.
  4. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Haha yes Chris it was a typo. He wants $40 for 1,000 pennies. And given the dates don't go before 1920 it makes me think they were searched. But anywho, what do most of y'all pay for lots Wheats? $40 seems like a lot to me. But I don't know much

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you want the COINS, buy the COINS; not the idea that there may be or could be something special/valuable hiding within them. If you can't work with the coins (by which, and from your other thread I assume profit) at the present price, buying is the equivalent of chasing rainbows.

6. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

I'm not sure, but I think coin shops are getting about .03 a wheat cent. So if it were me, I would not go over $ 30.00 for the 1,000 coins.

Dave

7. PHanagriff

PHanagriff Active Member

I recently auctioned off 960 wheat its at my coin club meeting for $30.00.
    I think 2-3 cents each is a good range.

8. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Not at all trying to profit off of Wheat pennies here. Just trying to fill up a coin book. So please don't assume because of my first post (which was worded poorly) I am trying to solely make money. I'm not. I'm asking how much Wheat cents go for. Not wether this is going to make me a profit.

9. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Thanks Dave. This was the answer I was looking for.

10. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Should I change my name and start over? Seems like I have this " Money cloud" sitting over my head. I've gone from loving this site to feeling it just might not be the place to look for answers.

11. PHanagriff

PHanagriff Active Member

No, I'm also a newbie too, I overlook all of the chaff and get to the wheat. It's really a good place to get your answers. Just have to listen to the various comments. Good luck!

OnEWB likes this.
  12. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Yeah I can certainly understand some comments. But as of now I feel like I'll always be judged as someone trying to profit off of a hobby. I was simply asking what coins would be best to hold value. People got their panties in a bunch now I have a cloud. Instead of attacking me someone could have easily said " Early Morgan's. They hold value." But no. Just judgement. Same with this post. I was asking how much collectors pay for wheats. But someone assumed that this was another way for me to make profit. Nope I'm just filling up a book. Good theory though guys.

13. BooksB4Coins

Don't worry about it.... I can't speak for anyone else, but my post wasn't intended in any sort of negative way; it was simple, honest, and to the point advice if that was, in fact, your desire. Nothing less and nothing more. :)

There's nothing at all wrong with wishing to profit from one's hobby, but do understand that it is painfully common for newbies to think coins the magic road to easy riches. Such people rarely want to learn first, have an immense sense of entitlement, and expect to be told only what they want to hear, and to be honest, it gets old quick. The point is don't take anything personally. If the other thread gave the wrong impression, it will pass.

OnEWB likes this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

Okay.... no one is "getting their panties in a bunch", nor is ANYONE "attacking" you. Look at what I just said regarding the sense of entitlement and only being told what they want to hear; make sense now?

Sorry for wasting my time on someone clearly not worth it. Perhaps instead of playing the poor lil victim, you should learn to appreciate the fact that, like the response or not, someone has taken their time in an attempt to help and/or educate you. No one needs to do so, and anyone sincerely trying deserves more than BS in return.

15. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

Then don't waist your time. I didn't need you to waist mine assuming I'm trying to make money on wheat cents? Who try's to profit on wheat cents? Now your second response was awesome. The one after that justifies the stick you guys Edit: Language ~ read the rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2016
  16. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

And how do you guys expect people to be turned on to these forums when beginners are just wanting to learn and they are being judged and criticized. Beginners aren't going to like smerk answers y'all give. I've already been private messaged by a few other beginners saying they felt the same way about some answers they received. And my post was about how much collectors would pay for wheat cents. Your post had nothing to do with how much you would pay for them. So who's wasting who's time? Pal

17. OnEWB

OnEWB Active Member

In no way shape or form an answer to my question.

18. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

I usually pay around 3-4 cents for wheats.

OnEWB likes this.
  19. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Absolutely not!

Personally, I don't waste my time holding grudges. I may argue with you, but that only means that I want you to make a good argument about why I might be wrong. Sure, there are some here, myself included, who like to jest with others but it is all in good fun. There is an old adage that I like to use. "He who can laugh at himself always laughs last."

Chris

OnEWB likes this.
  21. BooksB4Coins

No? Did you not say....

If this had no place in your question, YOU shouldn't have said it; my sincerest apologies for not being able to read your mind. But it's okay... don't think about the big picture or future if, and, or when another situation/opportunity arises. The advice given was damn solid and absolutely worthy of due consideration, particularly by someone new to this hobby.

Just like I said... sense of entitlement and being told only what they want to hear; thank you for continuing to make the point loud and clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted