wheat cent roll,IHC on end

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Victor, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

What's up with all the rolls of wheat cents on eBay with an Indian head cent on the end?
    Now there are even rolls of wheaties with a Mercury dime on the end. Unsearched?
    Ok I believe it. These rolls were just sitting around for years unopened until somebody decided to put them on eBay.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Riiight!
    Those coins on the end were planted there, most likely by the seller, to get buyers to think 'wow, there must be something else in side that was missed when that roll wasn't searched'.

There's a sucker born...

Aslpride likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

But but but....it has a 1909S on one end and a "VDB" reverse on the other. It's gotta be legit right?:p

5. rickmp

Wanna buy a yacht? I'll give you a great deal! :rolleyes:

6. lol i bought a few of those rolls and they have 1958's in them. one guy even said it in his ebay description that he scoops up 50 wheats and puts an indian head cent on the end

7. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

It's a scam. They seed the roll with good end coins, junk in the middle...one of the oldest coin tricks on ebay.

8. Volante

Volante Well-Known Member

What amazes me is how those guys manage to have such high feedback scores. You'd think a few of the buyers would be angry enough to leave some negative feedback.

9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Well, they got exactly what they bid for. They can't say that the listing was misleading because besides those end coins, they still got a full roll of wheats, and there's no way to definitively prove that the coins had or had not been searched.

10. there really is, when you get them they are not tight and the ends are opened a little. i bought a few!

11. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I've seen a couple rolls with gold coins on the ends of them, too. No doubt this is part of the nuclear war these sellers are having in order to attract the lowest denominator bidder.

12. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Well this is what dreams are made of...
    Hey Tom everyone's crying for your Balt. report on the other forum!

13. jtwetzel

jtwetzel Member

I have thought about buying a roll or two that are listed like that on ebay but I'm afraid of getting ripped off. Although I suppose if you only pay $3-$4 per roll it could be worth if for a collection if you truly get an Indian head and a bunch of wheats...But then again I have never purchased one...For the people that did buy these, would you risk buying another roll?

14. rickmp

I've never bought any, and after all I've read here, I will not be buying any in the future. Pure rip-off.

15. no its a waste of money each roll is about $10 dollars and have bad coins in the middle and just an indian head on the end

16. jtwetzel

jtwetzel Member

I see, well one of my goals is to complete a set of all the Wheaties from 1909-1958...I know it will probably be very hard but thats why its a goal..Would be cool tho!

17. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Classic ebay seeded roll scam. STAY AWAY!

18. Lord Geoff

Lord Geoff Active Member

Ethical question - let's pretend we are looking at a typical seeded roll auction, but we removed every instance of the word unsearched (and anything implying unsearched) from the auction listing. There's still a nice VDB and a nice 1909s on the ends, or whatever, but the description is now "Roll of wheats" instead of "Roll of unsearched wheats."

But the seller is still doing what we know they are all doing. At that point, is it unethical, a scam, a ripoff, etc.? Or just playing off of people's greed? And if just playing off of their greed but not misrepresenting anything, is that unethical?

19. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

Simply put 98% of these end loaded rolls are just that, a couple nicer dates placed on the end of rolls of 40-50s. I do buy these occasionaly but only bid to the "value" of the end coins (one I am already looking for) However I did find a very nice 31-s in one that really made my day. In the end as long as you don't overpay for the end coins, these can be fun as long as you realize that you are NOT going to hit the jackpot with them :D

20. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Wow, finding a 31-S would be nice. I never bought any of these sucker bait rolls.
    You only see one side of the end coin, open it up and you may have a big carbon spot on the other side.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Except you dan't be sure those end coins ARE nice. You only see one side of them. As Victor says you might open the roll to find that the other side is damaged. So there is even a risk even if you bid based on just the end coins and ignore he coins in the middle.

Draft saved Draft deleted