What's your worst coin mistake?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Nov 19, 2014.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

How's this for a mistake?

In 1894 Hallie Daggett spent a 1894S
    Barber dime in an ice cream parlor. Her father and Mint superintendent, John Daggett was the one who struck off 24 of them, like an hour before. He gave her three of them and told her to keep them until she was as old as he was and they would be valuable. She should have listed to pa.

To her credit she did manage to not spend the other two dimes which she sold in 1951 for $2,750 each.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    micbraun likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

I alleviate the issue altogether by using paper flips. I've received way too many coins that have had white flecks on them from the dust leftover from the die cutter punching out the holes in the cardboard 2x2's. This will also leave flecks which WILL cause black spots on high grade/proof silver coins. These flecks also "stick" to the coin, and are difficult to remove, even with an squeeze type air duster. They will also scratch proof coins as well. I have also bought slabbed coins that have had these on them as well, and can be very ugly/distracting. The other nice thing about using paper flips is that if you tuck away unc/proof coins for 5-30 years, they can tone very nicely.

4. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

Yeah, I agree, the Worst coin mistake and you still made money. I'm calling shenanigans.

I have made a bunch, let's see, buying over graded raw coins, buying toned coins from folks who were Very good (too good) photographers. Not storing a beautifully toned raw buff properly (no longer beautifully toned). Overdipping, and the list goes on. The important part is I did learn from all those mistakes.

micbraun and medoraman like this.
  5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Bringing all of my inventory home from the bank, having it unsecured at the time, not having an alarm system, and not having insurance coverage for the coins . . . individually these were significant mistakes . . . collectively, they cost me a bundle, and the business a lot of momentum.

Expensive lessons are well learned, but I prefer that you learn from mine, rather than from your own.

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

My "worst" mistake?

That's an easy one.

My WORST coin mistake was thinking that I could make money off of selling coins.

8. Dean 295

Dean 295 D.O.M.

sorry I got lost in the silly videos for about 10 minutes. Then I realized where I was.

9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

over paying for coins, but if you never see it come up for auction then I think it's ok to over pay. getting in a bidding war and not caring how high it went. I had to have it. lol this has happened with 2-3 coins to where I have waited/hunted for a certain coin for 5-10 years to come on the market. I will over spend for those coins searched for.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  10. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

That is just being a collector sir. If the coin gives you $500 in pleasure, its worth $500 to you regardless of what the "book" value says. I wouldn't consider that a mistake, I would call it a hobby win. :D I just did the same, bidding $850 against a $100 estimate, and winning at nearly $500. I have chased this coin for 8 years, and by gosh it was not getting away. Yes, it gives me $500 of pleasure, so I do not care what others say its worth.

TIF, spirityoda and JPeace$ like this.
  11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That isn't your mistake, and it sure isn't one of the myriad mistakes you have mentioned here in the past.

Chris

12. longnine009

I blew a token out from my fingers once with compressed air. But it was light and landed on carpet.

It's probably a good idea to wake up first before working with your coins. :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  13. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

OMG, you just reminded me of a thread that I wrote about my biggest mistake. I forgot all about it until you linked your biggest mistake to a different thread. Forget about my staple scratch coin. Does anyone remember when I overpaid by $300 for a proof coin in a mint state holder with a mechanical error on the label?

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the thread for the whole story: Mechanical Errors--Another Risk of Buying Sight Unseen

14. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

My biggest mistake would have to be August, 2008. Should have cleaned-out both safe deposit boxes and sold every single coin I owned at the top. BUT...,, If I need to narrow it down to a single coin, would probably be paying too much for a Type-II gold dollar, --about $150 more than it was probably worth.

15. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I don't think this was my biggest mistake but it's the worst my gut instincts ever let me down. When I come across something I've never seen before and the price seems reasonable, I buy it. Usually it gets me a bargain but not with this one[​IMG]

16. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

My biggest mistake to date (I'm sure I'll make more in the future, just not this kind) was to sign up for some mail order coin programs before I ever learned anything about this hobby. While I didn't get "soaked" I did over pay for each coin. I canceled by half dollar series after about 8 coins and the Morgan collection after 5. After I became a more knowledgeable about this hobby, I viewed the coins they send and realized they're no where near the price I paid. The halves were costing ~$45 per piece and the Morgans were about $90.

The good thing is it got me curious about the hobby, which led me to this site, the NGC boards and the PCGS boards. The rest they say is history!

medoraman likes this.
  17. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

It is my theory that you must fall off the horse at least three times before you become a true coin enthusiast. Here are three throws that battered my ego.

(1) Purchased the Westward Journey collection from HSN for $163 in 2006. It's value is now less than $80. Lesson: don't get suckered by the the slick pitch.

(2) Purchased a 1854 California Bear gold token in 2008 at a local auction. Paid $90; it was fake and worth virtually nothing. Lesson: only bid on stuff you know about.

(3) Purchased a 10X copy of an 1872 Indian Head cent. Paid $45 in 2005. Lesson: don't drink a lot of beer and then bid on ebay stuff.

HunterOhlsen and medoraman like this.
  18. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Me I've had a few the draped bust large cent that got caught under the desk interior drawer and had a bunch of fresh scrapes on it. I remember when I was a kid cleaning Mercury dimes with toothpaste and got bored once and took a pencil eraser to a seated half. It was a low grade common date but I might as well took a Brillo pad to it I also once bought a electrotype 1788 Massachusetts cent as genuine

19. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Only a Mainiac would take a pencil eraser to a seated half:) By the way, I'm originally from Brewer so I understand Mainiac. I've taken a greenie to some coins to remove crud. I'm not always displeased by my exploits and often happy with myself dispite the growns from the gallery.

20. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Got a friend that moved to brewer. In my defense I think I was 8 or 9 when I did that was sitting in class bored as usual. It really looked like crap when I was done too think I sold it for $5 afterward

Phil Ham likes this.
  21. longnine009

What is it?

Draft saved Draft deleted