What's your (realistic) ancient collecting holy grails?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by nerosmyfavorite68, Jan 26, 2022.

1. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I keep looking for a Greek "bee" coin

5. Tall Paul

Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

For me the ancient coin that is highest on my list of desirables is a Lucania/Sybaris Stater. Every time I see one it reminds of Picasso.

6. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

This one was top of my list until I was fortunate enough to become the new caretaker. It is the single known example. Constantine from Byzantium/ Constantinople/ Istanbul copying a denarius of Trajan.

Constantinople_SPQR.jpg

Constantine I
    circa A.D. 330
    20mm 3.1g
    CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG; Rosette-diademed head right, with slight drapery on left shoulder.
    S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI; Victory standing front, head to left, holding wreath in her right hand and palm frond in her left.
    In ex. CONSA
    RIC VII Constantinople –

7. ZoidMeister

IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1730.JPG

Kentucky, The Meat man and Bing like this.
  8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ephesos, Ionia 2.png
    EPHESOS, IONIA
    AE13
    OBVERSE: E-[Φ], bee
    REVERSE: Forepart of stag recumbent left, head right (Uncertain magistrate)
    Sturck at Ephesos, ca 390-320 BC
    12.9 mm, 2.06 g
    SNG Copenhagen 247-53

9. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Right out of the latest "Bee Keeper" movie. With a coin like that I don't even have to ask if you've seen it!

Kentucky and ZoidMeister like this.
  10. ZoidMeister

Actually, I've been meaning to go see that one. I've owned this since 2021. Not many around. I'll have to look up my references, but probably less than 10 were struck.

How was the movie? Did they use this in the movie?

Z

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    Kentucky likes this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

12. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind upgrading my JC lifetime portrait denarius, but can't see that happening anytime soon (unless the prices crash.) I have not spent $1k yet on any single coin and I just don't know if I even want that much tied up in a single piece.

There are any number of ancient coins I would love to own, but I guess right now, I don't have a single "holy grail" coin that I've got on my radar. I'm currently more focused on upgrading the coins I already have, and selling off the old ones.

Ancientnoob and Gallienus like this.
  13. edteach

edteach Well-Known Member

Same here.

14. Croatian Coin Collector

Croatian Coin Collector Supporter! Supporter

Unfortunately, somewhere between the seller in San Jose, USA shipping the coin and the empty package arriving in Zagreb, Croatia, somebody stole my Roman Gold Solidus of Julian coin:(, so finding such a coin in good condition is once again my ancient coin collecting "holy grail".

Hopefully I won't have any issues with getting my money back.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
    panzerman likes this.
  15. Nap

Nap Well-Known Member

In my quest to complete all the provinces of the Hadrian travel series, I think the most challenging seems to be Dalmatia.

I have never seen the rare "EXERC DELMATICVS" sestertius. I am not even sure it really exists, but it's in the standard reference.

I also feel like the other three I'm missing will be coins I'll be seeking a while, but I think they are ultimately realistic-
    Restitutor Nicomedia
    Adventus Noricum
    Adventus Thracia

16. Codera

Codera Well-Known Member

There's quite a few goals for myself that I've achieved already but I do have a couple holy grail goals of eventually getting an aureus and a coin of Julius Caesar, even if they're not in the most pristine condition. I guess closer on the horizon would be a tremissis I've been eyeing and saving up for from the reign of Anastasius (a little morsel of the enormous surplus that he built up and would later be spent by Justinian), a decent quality siliqua, and I would like to start collecting coins from their rivals in Persia.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    red_spork and panzerman like this.
  17. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that. Did the seller mark value/ contents on packet/ letter? Getting another is easy/ lots come up/ but they are $$$$$$.

18. Croatian Coin Collector

No, the envelope didn't have any such thing on it, the cut-open envelope only had a paper towel in it and it was inside an eBay box.

I would be very grateful if you notify me when you see one in good condition, the highest daily spending limit on my credit card that my bank allows is 7000 EUR, so that is also the most I can spend on a single coin.

panzerman likes this.
  19. Croatian Coin Collector

I am going to try to find this version (I would be happy if I found any version that is in good condition and has a reasonable price):

4001.340.15_1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  20. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I like that version better! The "Bearded Emperor" is more common/ but pricey. Jovian MS Solidi are around half price of Julian II solidi.

21. Croatian Coin Collector

Yes, but Julian and Marcus Aurelius are the only two Roman Emperors whose coins I would like to buy.

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted