What's your opinion on this Lincoln?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Aug 31, 2016.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Here's mine:
    It came out of an old green PCI holder, so that's where the amazing toning came from. I cracked it out and took the pics. There is a carbon spot on the obverse. At first glance I thought it was hairlined, but under a loupe it's like it has woodgrain/planchet striations that all run right up against the devices, date, and letters, so I do NOT think those are hairlines, (and yes, I am relieved). I grade it MS63 RB. It'll go to NGC or PCGS economy, so the results will be a long time coming.

I guess I just want your opinions on it, even if you DO think it's cleaned or whatever. Feel free to grade it!
    DSCN5191-horz.jpg DSCN5192.JPG

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Nathan401, ddddd and green18 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

I don't know - looks like some of each. Die polish lines and "whiz" lines. Maybe somebody tried to whiz out the carbon spot then (after they couldn't) just made the entire coin look like that plus retoning isn't that hard to do.
    I would go with die polish lines if it was only on the fields but the devices too? Maybe they had fine wire wheels back in 1918 that they pushed down into the dies to polish them? That's what it looks like!

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It is hard to tell from the pics.
    I want to say nice Wood!

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I usually have to pay someone to have that said to me.

Jdiablo30, dwhiz, Endeavor and 5 others like this.
  6. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

I like it. I dont think it's hairlines. The streaks are woodgrain. The obverse looks to have some light wear on the high points is my only problem with it. Nice coin imo

7. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

Well, it's in a hell of a lot better condition than mine. I like it, although I'm no fan of the tone thing.

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I ain't hit a home run in ages.......guess I lack 'good wood'........old guys rock, but they can't bat.

9. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

I'd say MS63 and I sure hope it hasn't been cleaned, but the lines in the field by the nose and forehead seem to go onto the head so I want say not cleaned. It's a beauty.

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Two words. Mick Jagger.

green18 likes this.
  11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yeah, God Bless him. He's a better man than I Gunga Din...........and all the responsibility. I've left all that behind when I hit '65. :)

12. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I think it has a shot at 64 were it not for the reverse (inside the left wheat). If that is as flat as it looks, a 62 would not surprise me.

C-B-D likes this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Wood - Woodie wasnt gonna get away with it either way!

14. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Is that a fingerprint under the date? I'm not sure how those affect the grade.

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I think it is

16. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

TMI :facepalm:

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I would be extremely surprised if you could get a fingerprint in the depths of a coin without touching the neighboring devises. Even if you could avoid the 9, how could you get in there without touching the rim and/or the bust?

18. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

That's what I was thinking. I was wondering if it was on the coin, or the photo, or the slab

19. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Nice coin. I'd own it. I didn't think the green PCI holders toned coins, though; I thought it was the gold labels that really caused the target toning.

20. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Well don't - wood is an alloy mix - not a bunch of die scratches!! Or in this case - coin surface scratches from a whizz and then retoned!!

It's across the entire coin - NOT from the die being polished which would only be on the fields!

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Those lines are definitely from the planchet. I cannot tell for sure if it is alloy from the pictures, but it is 100% from the planchet. Whizzing would be most extreme on the high points and would not continue uniformly through the devises.

Paul M. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted