What's your oldest US Note ?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by connor1, May 7, 2010.

1. Dr Kegg

Dr Kegg Star Note Fanatic

I have a 1776 Continental note from a while back. My oldest note and a cornerstone of my collection.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

I've wanted one of these since I was old enough to know what they were. Picked this one up earlier this year.

[​IMG]

Someday I'll own a set.

4. Dr Kegg

I am totally jealous of you having this note. I just want one for my collection, whether it grades poor or ChCU. Congrats on your purchase.

5. gboulton

Thanks!

That's really where I was. I wanted one that looked decent. Tears, creases, whatever...shoot, those just made it affordable. *lol* So long as it presented well, and the artwork was intact, and relatively free of stains and such, I was happy.

6. Dr Kegg

You made out on this one. I saw a VG that was WAY worse than that. Just couldn't bring myself to pay the price for it. I want one, but I have a picky eye...

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

This one is still on my wish list, too. I'd be more than happy with one like yours. Nice pick up!

8. StGauden658

StGauden658 Junior Member

I purchased a educational dollar over a year ago and still love looking at it from time to time! To me the educational series was the one of the most beautiful series issued.

9. gboulton

I'm not even remotely a currency expert, but I thought it was pretty nice for the grade/price as well.

Either way, I ADORE the series, had always wanted a set, and this one was "good enough" for my liking. :)

I'd resubmit it to some grader but...honestly...I can't imagine ever wanting to part with it, so who cares what holder it's in? *heh*

Thanks!

I absolutely agree. I think it's stunning artwork, and a fascinating story to boot.

10. AnthonyW

AnthonyW New Member

I just acquired these yesterday

IMG_0187.jpg IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg IMG_0189.jpg

11. AnthonyW

AnthonyW New Member

12. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

One from Virginia, even -- nice! I think I like the New York notes the best. Did you get these in a group lot?

13. AnthonyW

AnthonyW New Member

It was in an estate auction and those are the ones I won the bids on. along with a set of coins that I thought were interesting looking that turned out to be pretty nice as well.

14. lonewulf

lonewulf New Member

would my 1864 $10 Confederate States of America note count?

15. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_2076.jpg IMG_2080.JPG Probally these 2 reb notes from the Great Rebellion. :cool:

16. lonewulf

lonewulf New Member

is that first one an 1864 Virginia note?

17. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

A great thread with some beautiful old notes.
    I feel sacrilegious posting a note from the 20th Century with all the cool notes posted from the 18th & 19th Century, but it is what it is....my oldest note;

[​IMG]

18. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

IMG_0205.jpg IMG_0204.jpg Both notes are Richmond, VA 1864. I just relised I have an 1862 Va. Treasury note, I should have posted. This is my oldest note.

19. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

1835 Lumberman's Bank note from Warren, PA:
    [​IMG]

20. StGauden658

StGauden658 Junior Member

Here's a Towanda Bank (PA) obsolete note from 1841

1841 PA Obselete banknote.jpg

21. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

I was at a show last weekend and saw an old New Hampshire obsolete similar to yours connor1. I don't remember the name of the bank, but it was dated 1800. I nearly bought it, but since I'm concentrating on New Jersey/Philadelphia obsoletes decided to pass. That's a nice looking note you have

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted