What's your oldest US Note ?

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by connor1, May 7, 2010.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

A 1864 $5 confederate note is my oldest.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. currencylover

currencylover New Member

I just don't know where to start other than to say..............fabulous notes all! So far I see about a 20 way tie ( and growing) for first place!

4. StGauden658

StGauden658 Junior Member

The closest I could find to this note was from the Burrillville ,RI Bank. These notes dated 1831. I found it in the 1933 Bound volume of The Numismatist I have.The article was by D.C.Wismer. It appears The Rhode Island obsolete note articles ran in the Numismatist from 1933-1934.I have no issues from 1934,but did find the "New England Commercial Bank of Newport" listed(Sept.1933 pg 561),but your note wasn't listed. If I find anything I'll post it here.

5. StGauden658

BTW the oldest note I have is the 6 Dollar Maryland MD58 March 1,1770 : Printers Ann Catherine Green and William Green
    [​IMG]

6. StGauden658

Here are the 2 oldest notes I have , 1770 6 Dollar note and a 1776 8 Dollar note:

Attached Files:

7. connor1

connor1 Collector

Thanks for going to all that investigation for me I appreciate it .I have several books & this months SPMC (May-June) that show Rhode Island Banknotes of similar design on page 203 thru 208 from 1808 (Farmers Exchange Bank) Gloucester R.I..very similar but not the same .
    Thanks,Bob
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. coinup

coinup Junior Member

those are amazing - I can't even imagine where those might have been before they were pulled out of circulation...

:thumb:

9. love coins

love coins Junior Member

They all are fantastic im in awe

10. Joepepsi

Joepepsi New Member

I love colonial notes and this is my current oldest note. It is the first note that Maryland issued. This note is a remainder and never put in curculation. IMG_1503 resized.jpg

11. Phuvitz

Phuvitz New Member

12. kathynumismatis

kathynumismatis Heritage Auctions

I have a number of U.S. colonial notes, but am not sure off the top of my hold which is the oldest. However, I would love to add a Chinese 1 Kuan from the China Ming Dynasty (1368-1399) to my collection even though I don't have a lot of world paper notes. They're really neat. We (Heritage Auctions) sold one earlier this year and will have an even nicer one in our FUN auction in Tampa in January that I'll have my eye on.

13. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

whats a note from that period run Kathy?

14. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Just to harken back to the thread title -- what's your oldest U.S. note? -- the colonials don't technically qualify since they pre-date the United States. You could probably point to Continental Currency as the chief reason there are hardly any banknotes from the 1790s to the 1820s: no one trusted paper. It took a couple generations (and intaglio printing methods) to regain confidence in bank issued paper money.

15. Dave L

Dave L Junior Member

16. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I've got one from 1835, a couple years before Michigan's statehood (when these Native American vignettes were modern images).

Attached Files:

17. kathynumismatis

kathynumismatis Heritage Auctions

Daggarjon- to answer your question, the Chinese 1 Kuan from the China Ming Dynasty (1368-1399) have been selling for several thousand dollars depending upon the condition.

18. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

My earliest until I get the 1733 Maryland note that I bought in a recent auction:

[​IMG]

This note is distinctive for several reasons, it is the earliest available note from any colony that is not stratospheric pricewise, and it was actually printed by Benjamin Franklin. Unlike the 1750s and early 1760s notes with Franklin's name on them which were printed by David Hall - his business associate as Franklin was then living in London, this note was printed by Franklin himself. This was a Heritage purchase a couple of years ago, and they are still appearing from time to time in various auctions.

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Oldest Note in the World

In reference to the Ming Dynasty notes that were brought up earlier in this thread, I purchased one of these a couple of years ago also but no longer own it as it was a special gift to someone from China:

http://www.scottishmoney.net/banknotes/china/china2.html

20. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

The 1863 Fractional .25 cent note I picked up this last Sunday. :D

BTW: Good to see you posting SM!

21. krispy

krispy krispy

Totally! Long time no see ScottishMoney! Welcome back to CT!

Draft saved Draft deleted