What's your favorite Coin? Silver, Gold and Platinum Giveaway

Discussion in 'Contests' started by longarm, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Im picking 1912s V Nickel. Had a nice one in the late 70's. Got lost when ma passed. Was quite pround of it. You are good to us a CT. Cheech

longarm likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CREATIVECRHUNTER

CREATIVECRHUNTER Well-Known Member

I have been CRH for a little over a year and so far I have found a V nickel, two Indian head cents, a Buffalo nickel, and many interesting varieties. These are my favorites, for starters.
    This contest is appreciated and exciting for it's sets! Thanks for the chance!

longarm likes this.
  4. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Australian Penny is my favorite. Thanks for the contest!

longarm likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Those are an old favorite of mine, too. They're quite impressive in hand.

longarm and Kentucky like this.
  6. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

From what I've read they weren't very popular at the time of their minting for the very reasons they are now; size and weight. The working class didn't like having large quantities of them to lug around for day to day purchases.

longarm and Kentucky like this.
  7. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I have never seen one of these before, but now I have to have one. How much are they price wise typically?

longarm likes this.
  8. TheRed

TheRed Well-Known Member

While I'm no expert, $250 would probably get you an attractive EF example, though you could easily spend as much as $1000. If you are happy with a circulated one you could get it for between $50 and $100.

longarm likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

My story...bought one for ~$25 and when I got it, it was a penny, not tuppence. Complained to the seller and he said to keep it at no charge. Kept looking and bought one for ~$30 (the pic is not mine, but the size - especially the thickness is impressive).

10. D-Train

D-Train proof coin enthusiast

Well I was going to say "Liberty Walking Halfs" but I like all of the renaissance (1916 starting date) coins. I just can't afford too many standing liberty quarters. But since I just broke down and bought one (a 1923 for $110) that will be my choice, as it is my current most expensive coin! Here's a photo.
    [​IMG]1923 Standing Liberty Quarter by Jerry Springer, on Flickr

longarm likes this.
  11. davidharmier60firefox

davidharmier60firefox Well-Known Member

Absolutely my favorite coin is a Walking Liberty half.
    Not too distant second is an SLQ.
    The two finest looking coins ever made! 2017-04-30 19.54.20.jpg

So fine that modern Silver is made like it!

longarm likes this.
  12. D-Train

D-Train proof coin enthusiast

I got one of those too! I have no clue where I got it from. Wanna help me grade it? Looks pretty AU to me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. SavageFountain

SavageFountain Active Member

My favorite is the South Korean 5 won coin. It has a Turtle Ship on it which is one of my favorite things in East Asian history.

Attached Files:

longarm likes this.
  14. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

One hour to go (8 am central). Good luck everyone.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This has been my favorite for many years. I love clash die coins. 31.jpg 32.jpg

16. longarm

I had originally planned on randomly giving away these sets, but desertgem instructed me that "you can't pick at random, that makes it a raffle. You will have to decide based on some numismatic criteria. You can ask them to write a short paragraph as to why it is favorite and then you choose the answer based on that", so after a complicated process testing the levels of my discernment I'm happy to announce the winner is........
    Kim Greenwood
    Please PM me immediately to claim your prize

Stevearino likes this.
  17. longarm

Thanks to all that entered and be sure to watch for my next giveaway.

18. longarm

All I can say is WOW.

19. longarm

I believe like beauty, value is also in the "eye of the beholder", these sets were bought at auction in a box of others sets that more than made up for what I paid, so I basically got them for free. They were marketed by the "Cable Shopping Network" (I've never heard of them, but I don't have cable) which means someone probably paid waaay too much for them.

20. longarm

21. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fun, @longarm! I enjoyed it, seeing coins and hearing stories...what's not to like. Makes us all winners! Congrats to Kim.
    Steve

longarm likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.