What's your favorite Coin? Silver, Gold and Platinum Giveaway

Discussion in 'Contests' started by longarm, Apr 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longarm

longarm Well-Known Member

Okay, actually only a silver round and gold/platinum PLATED quarters. Here's how it works, to enter post "What's your favorite Coin?" (only once please to give everyone a chance, pictures are welcome) and I will pick the winner at Monday morning after the 8 am deadline, 5/1/2017 according to the answers. Winner will receive 1 2000-D State Quarter collection (5 coins) and 1 2000-P State Quarter collection (5 coins) and 1 2000-P Gold Edition collection (5 coins) and 1 2000-P Platinum Edition collection (5 coins) and 1 1/10 oz. Walking Liberty Silver Round and an "Unannounced Special Bonus". silverroundOBV.jpg silverroundREV.jpg goldquarter1.jpg goldquarter2.jpg
    Standard disclaimer:
    Again, all Quarters are PLATED and are not gold and platinum coins. The value of the Quarters I place at FACE VALUE ONLY (example 4 quarters= $1)
    No authenticity tests have been performed on any of these coins so there's no guarantee they're real (they look real but who knows for sure) I got them in a box of coin sets at a local auction. I was going to just break them out of the holders and spend them, but then I got the idea to give them away.

Hat tip to
    lordmarcovan
    who gave me the idea, thanks.

Winner will be expected to contact me within 48 hours with an address to send their prize, (priority mail on me of course).
    Let the games begin and Good Luck to all that enter.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Curtisimo and sakata like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. abuckmaster147

abuckmaster147 Well-Known Member

My favorites would be all the coins you just posted! ;)

Clawcoins and longarm like this.
  4. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

One of my favorite coins is a 1922 Peace Dollar that came from my grandpa. He never collected coins but after he passed we found one single Peace dollar sliding around in his sock drawer. Wish I knew the story behind it.

sakata and longarm like this.
  5. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

For years I've favored the "renaissance" coins of 1916 (Liberty/Mercury dime, SLQ, Walker half). I still love them all. But recently I've become enamored of Flying Eagle cents. That eagle was one sweet bird! And an FE with original color is a thing of beauty.
    Thanks for the contest!
    Steve

longarm likes this.
  6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

world coins with insects as the design.

coinsareus10 and longarm like this.
  7. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Mine is the Walking Liberty half dollar.

longarm and Stevearino like this.
  8. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Coins with moose or owls Got Moose 002a.JPG 2016 Clark Gruber 41mm Octagon 1.5 oz..jpg

spirityoda, longarm and Stevearino like this.
  9. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

At the moment, it is an MS65 1941 Walking Liberty Half.

longarm likes this.
  10. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

My favorite coin is my 1874cc Seated liberty trade dollar coin that my Nana gave me. Shen said she has had it ever since she moved to the United States in 1960. Other than that my favorite coin design and by far the best is the walking liberty half dollar. I found my only one in a coin roll. If I have time I will post pictures later.

longarm, sakata and Stevearino like this.
  11. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

My favorite coin has to be the Mercury dime at the moment. I change my favorite coin design quite often. Last one was walking liberty halves, and before that the peace dollar!

longarm likes this.
  12. Kim Greenwood

Kim Greenwood New Member

Indian Head Cent

longarm likes this.
  13. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

The 1915 Panama Pacific Expo half dollar.

longarm likes this.
  14. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

The coin they use in the Superbowl flip to see who receives...........

longarm likes this.
  15. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

1913 v nickel, that's always been my dream coin, I enjoy collecting all 20th century US coins but for some reason nickels in general have always been appealing to me.

longarm likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

If I had to get rid of every coin I own, I would keep the 1924-S SLQ my wife bought me for my birthday. It's more than likely dipped, but I'll never tell her that. I'm afraid it's tucked away in another country so I don't have photos.

longarm and green18 like this.
  17. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

I am not sure whether you mean favorite coin in general or favorite coin which each of us owns. But I am going to go with the latter and say that it has to been the one shown. I am not sure if it is technically a coin, but it certainly was used as a medium of exchange in Vietnam fifty or so years ago so I guess it qualifies.

There are stories of people escaping from Vietnam having converted all their wealth into these. One of those stories is told in Michael Kosares' book The ABC of Gold, which is the book I first used to find out about gold many years ago, about how he bought several of them from someone who had escaped Vietname and it was enough to set up the seller in the USA. I read about them and never expected to own one.

But I did. This is a half ounce Vietnamese tael, date unknown but probably 50 years old from what I can gather. I don't have it nearby to measure but it is about 4 inches long and 1 inches wide and very thin.

GBVNM001#1.JPG GBVNM001#2.JPG

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  18. Muzyck

Muzyck Rabbits!

Congo 1943.jpg

Thinking of giving this a bath in acetone. Really on the fence about it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    longarm, Mad Stax and Nathan401 like this.
  19. Dm679864

Dm679864 Member

Definite favorite is an 1899 Russia 5 Rouble gold coin! First gold coin I ever found :)

longarm likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Don't enter me, but it looks like a fun giveaway. Thanks for the hat tip. Back at you!

When Statehood quarters came out, the gold-plated ones were selling for about $1 apiece as novelties (sometimes $2 ea. outside numismatic channels), so better than face value, anyway.

As to "favorite coin", whether in terms of types or individual examples, I could never pick a single favorite. I do tend to be sentimentally fond of the more historic pieces I've found while detecting, even though those are worth much less monetarily than my "bought" collection.

longarm likes this.
  21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Since I bought one, I have fallen in love with the original "Cartwheel" British tuppence of George III because of the size and thickness...impressive.

cent.jpg cent 2.jpg

Curtisimo, longarm, NLL and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.