What's your favorite Coin Hoard?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by raider34, Jan 18, 2010.

1. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I've been reading up on some of the famous coin hoards for awhile now, and some of the stories are just fascinating.

So what's your favorite coin hoard? (Any real find can count, from the shipwreck finds, the NY Subway hoard, Redfield, Battle Creek, to the GSA sales). *And post some info on the hoard if you can.

I'll start off with mine, The Binion Collection/Hoard, but the GSA was a close second.

Here's the story: The Binion Hoard - Coin Collecting

And some more info The Binion Collection

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

The Economite Treasure of 1878 has to be the most spectacular

While it is a minor hoard, I also like the Omaha Bank Hoard (I have a 1944 year set from it)

4. Stilson

Stilson Junior Member

Mine. :D

Actually none of them. (Maybe gsa but I'm not hung up on them.) They just inflate the price.

5. Cringely

Cringely Active Member

But doesn't a hoard normally depress prices when it is released into the market?

6. statequarterguy

statequarterguy Love Pucks

My favorite coin hoard would have to be my own (of satin finish coins). :D

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It depends on how well it is marketed. The GSA sale and the Redfield hoard were smartly marketed and actually resulted in INCREASED demand and prices for Morgan dollars.

I liked the GSA sale and the Randall Hoard

8. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

The Randall Hoard of Matron Head large cents. How else could we afford strong mint state US coppers from 190 years ago ?

Maybe someday I'll score a Nichols Hoard coin : 1796 - 1797 draped bust large cents.

9. CoinCast

CoinCast Member

SS republic or my great grandmas because i own it now

10. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Welcome to the Forum. I noticed your rather new so I thought I'd say that.
    As to favorite hoards, none really impress me at all. Reminds me of when they stopped making convertible cars and people ran out and hoarded those. How about the people that hoarded Beanie Babies? HMMM. Wonder how they are doing.

11. Stilson

Stilson Junior Member

I have to admit I bought a Redfield hoard Morgan at the last coin show. A few reasons though. I have known the dealer for a long time, it has a crack on the case, and he cut me a deal at regular morgan price.

12. michaeliharris0

michaeliharris0 Junior Member

Got to stick with Randall Hoard, probably the most exciting there is, well for me.

gsa schedule

Draft saved Draft deleted