What's your experience/opinion with Intercept & dansco albums?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by shatsi, Oct 8, 2005.

1. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I know lot of you use dansco albums. Recently I was told that Intercept Sheild albums are better than dansco in terms of stopping toning. I would like to know your opinion on this. Currently I'm useing air tites but I would like to have them on an album.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ajm229

ajm229 Lincoln Cent Collector

I haven't seen any of these "Intercept Shield" albums yet, but I can tell you that right now, I wouldn't keep my coins in anything other than Danscos. I just think that they look really professional and increase the eye appeal of my coins! I have a plain cents album for my Canadian pennies, along with the Lincoln Cents, Jefferson Nickels, Buffalo Nickels, Mercury Dimes, Roosevelt Dimes, Washington Quarters, Washington Statehood Quarters, and Kennedy Half Dollars albums.

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Here's my answer.I've heard the Intercepts offer better protection because of special tarnish preventing sheets between each page but I'm already commited.Ignore the toe in the bottom left :eek:

Attached Files:

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Pretty in Dansco!

Attached Files:

6. asian-chick

asian-chick New Member

im getting a dasnco album to put my jerffersons in, I have my wheats in very old whitman albums...I dont really see a point in getting the intercept shield ones...seems like some coins sell for more when they are tonned anyway...

7. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I must agree the Dansco looks much better, Intercept albums are green. Like Mikjo said there's a tarnish prevention sheet between each page. It comes with a slip case too.

Those who you dansco, how long have you had your coins in them without toning?

8. jimmy-bones

jimmy-bones Senior Member

I've put my coins in both. The Intercept Shield albums have anti-crossion throughout the pages, including the slip cover. The Dansco albums offer a slip cover to provide anti-corrosion. To the best of my knowledge the pages are not as such.
    I prefer the intercept shield albums...they look equally professional as teh dansco albums :confused:
    If you are looking for ultimate protection, I suggest the Intercept Shield Coin boxes for slabbed coins. These boxes offer individual coin protection surrounded by additional protection (the box). I often put raw cons in these holders and boxes. To date I have not seen any toning/corrosion/dulling, etc.. Just my opinion

9. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

It's each persons likes and dis-likes to make a decision on which form of storage to use.
    I felt that with what the coins cost, it was foolish to use something less expensive, even though it may look nicer to store coins. There for I use Incercept almost exclusively to store my collection.

10. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

I asked a dealer what he thought about the toning resisten slip-covers, he said come back in 15 years when the sets start to come back from estates ;)

11. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

12. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

Does it mean including Intercept albums?

13. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

How about stakable trays like this- NoVa

If I use air tites for the coins and store them in these trays is it safe?

My other alternative would be to store them on air tites and use 3-ring binder that store 2x2 to store the air tite and I'll print out labels for them.

Attached Files:

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

There are several different makers of the stackable trays. Some of them are just hard plastic, which is fine - others are lined with felt or velour, which may or may not be fine depending on the materials used. For different fabrics and the glue used to hold it to the plastic trays may cause toning over the years. You'd have to ask the manufacturers for specifics of how their trays are made.

Dansco albums used to be made with ordinary cardboard. But I believe that today's versions are supposed to be made with inert materials. I would suggest confirming that with Dansco though.

15. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

this is probably the best idea yet. There is no reason this would present any danger, and still afford the ability to hold and view each coin.

Excellent idea shats and better than the any of your previous thoughts on the subject. I would not try and improve on this idea!

16. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

I ended up, after a couple of years, pulling ALL my Morgan Dollars back out of the Dansco Albums due to toning around the edges. I now bring them home, after buying them, put them in an airtite and thats where they are going to stay. Never had a coin tone in an airtite! My wife and I probably have nearly a $1,000.00 invested in Dansco albums at this time and about half of them have been emptied!

17. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

crystalk, thank you for sharing your experience. I would definitly stay away from dansco as I really dislike toning.

18. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

the slip-cases for dansco albums are supposed to stop toning, most of my albums are in slip-covers now.

I think you will come around to toning, I used to dislike it but now i seek it out, it is one way to make sure you are getting an original coin. Now when i look at an old 100+ year and it looks shiney i see a dipped coin...

19. tanner520

tanner520 Coin Lover

Just like ranchhand said above, if you put coins in a Dansco, go ahead and spend the extra to get the slip-cover for the album as well. It gives that extra protection.

20. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

I am pretty heavily invested in dansco albums, and i am currently seeking out the old out of print albums ( world coin sets )
    I like how they look, and I REALLY like how they help me organize my collection. its like having an automatic check list ;)

In my searching for these old coin albums i have been able to see old collections that have been sitting in dansco albums for decades, sometimes i see toning, sometimes not. I can’t verify that the coins toned before they where put into the album, or if the albums toned them. One thing i can say for sure was that in almost all cases the toning i did see was eye pleasing, nothing crazy awful. usually nice rim toning was evident on some coins.

Interesting thing i noticed, some coins where tones and others where still shiny BU, same album. From what i was told all of the coins had been there for decades.

Remember that the metal contents in coins can affect how likely they are to tone. Some coins will tone no matter what you do to them. I have seen that many of the low silver content coins tend to tone in different ways/degrees then the high silver content coins. US coinage is pretty stable as far as its alloy, but Mexican coinage was on a rollercoaster of different silver content throughout the 20th century. If you are at a coin show or have access to a large variety of Mexican peso coins take a look at them. you will see a trend with what coins tone based on the silver content. at least i have ;)

Notice how all of the toning resistant storage options never say "tone PROOF" they always say tone RESISTENT. toning is what happens to metal. its a natural chemical reaction.

One thing is for sure: the environment matters! it doesn’t matter how much silver guard you have around a coin if it is sitting in a closet being baked in 105 degree heat next to the ocean ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted