What's wrong with this Morgan??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by DysfunctionalVeteran, Sep 26, 2016.

1. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

This is an easy one, 4 me, so I'll let someone else, give the big reveal......

5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

looks like a rim cud and PVC damage

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
  6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

It's a small deep lamination. You can see partial dentical formation and a small unpeeled portion on the upper outter rim area

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Planchet flaw on rim and tape residue on the reverse.

8. heavycam.monstervam

Well, frig......
    I guess it AINT SO EASY AFTER ALL....
    I was gonna say struck thru grease-
    With the big clue, being the same issue on the reverse stars....:wideyed:
    Anyone else????

9. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Aside what looks like a flan flaw on the obverse and evidence that the coin was once glued to something on the reverse, I can't see enough detail to make any guesses I'd consider intelligent. Not convinced there *is* detail missing on the reverse stars yet; could be just the lighting.

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

The photo is not sharp enough or magnified enough. The characteristic on the rim is INTO the coin so it is either a strike thru, or planchet flaw. Planchet flaw covers a bunch of things - such as a missing portion of the original blank or a piece that came out. I think I see a peeled up tear on the rim of the flaw so now I'm leaning to a lamination (planchet flaw). If you take a photo of the edge I'll know for sure.

Put some acetone on the reverse and see if the "yellow" comes off. Don't rub the Q-tip, roll it.

11. DysfunctionalVeteran

I don't have it in hand yet. One of them comes in the mail today and I got another on feebay for $33 5min ago. I'll post pics in a min.

12. DysfunctionalVeteran

Die clashing on this one. Slightly off center. Looks MS but the pics were/are blurry. I took a chance at $33.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. heavycam.monstervam

Uh oh.... I can sense what's happening here, do you need a (fix) atleast once a week OP?
    Do you get a rush, pulsating through your veins, every time you buy a silver dollar???
    Especially when they are in UNC condition?

My suggestion- count to 10, inhale thru your nose and exhale out of your mouth , everytime you get the urge to buy a shiny new silver disc, it will work for a while but, eventually, you WILL give in to the cravings, I use to be like you, so I know exactly what you are going through ....

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  14. DysfunctionalVeteran

I buy AU too. Do you have a fix for that issue too. If you can create a time machine to fix mint errors then you could solve my addictions.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Just wait until you get into VAMming ;)

16. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

No thank you. O-chem was enough for me.

17. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

You'll never look at a Morgan or Peace Dollar in same light. :)

18. DysfunctionalVeteran

I don't think we ever discussed what was wrong with this coin... the one from 1883.

19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Mis-aligned dies and maybe a pmd wipe or scuff around United. A touch overdipped too maybe. Bad pics though

20. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I could go with that being a possible strike through just inside the rim at about 4 o'clock, or it just being a plain old dent, but that's it. I don't see anything that looks even remotely like a lamination.

21. DysfunctionalVeteran

I think I bought both of them. Gosh, I don't remember what I did yesterday. Hmmm. I suspose when the mailman makes deliveries next week I'll share what I bought, or won't share what I didn't buy.

Draft saved Draft deleted