What's wrong with this cup coin?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Herberto, Feb 26, 2024.

1. Herberto

Herberto Well-Known Member

so wrong.jpg

Description
    Alexius I Comnenus (1081 – 1118, with colleagues from 1092). Æ Trachy (25,2mm, 2.8g). Christ enthroned facing, with crossed nimbus, wearing pallium and colobium , holding Book of Gospels; on either side of the nimbus. R/ The Virgin, nimbate, standing r., crowning Alexius, wearing divitision and loros , and holding globus cruciger ; between their heads, M – Θ. Cf. Sear 1926. Probably modern reproduction.

Hi - that is not my coin, but that was recently sold in auction.

I just want to hear your opinion about it in case you have one.

Do you think it is a modern replica (fake?) as the seller has attributed it? Or is it a fourree?

It looks so wrong. I've never seen anything like this before.

sand likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

It is a modern replica; the coronation issues of Alexius are rare and normally not in great condition. It was nice the seller noted he also thought it was a modern reproduction.

Here is a real one (Coronation piece not same coin as above but issued at same time.), not pretty to at but SBCV-1916 Alexius.
    f1.jpg

No here is a modern fake of another Alexius coin, I had it a year before I realized it was bogus, I did not realize it from sight, it was from looking at other examples I saw all had the same error, then I realized, they were all made from the same dies. I still have not seen a real one.
    x4.jpg

sand, Herberto and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted