What's wrong with this 1880 s Morgan

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Eric White, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Eric White

Eric White Active Member

I got this dollar today, is this a die break or later intentional damage, heavy scratch?

1021161820_HDR.jpg 1021161820a_HDR.jpg 1021161821_HDR.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Hi, Eric!

Your first photo is a tad blurry, and it is difficult for me to tell if it is a crack or a scratch. I don't see any indication of raised metal inside the crack like you should expect to see, so I'm guessing that it is a scratch, possibly from a staple.

Chris

4. Eric White

Eric White Active Member

Maybe this picture gives a better idea, don't have the greatest camera, o_O, upon magnification looks more like a scratch and cleaned at some point. Glad I didn't pay a whole lot for it, but I like it.

1021161950_HDR (2).jpg

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Almost certainly a postmint gouge with circulation wear since. I can see metal displacement (upward) at both ends.

The discovery of an actual unknown die crack this prominent would probably be the VAM of the Year for 2016.

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I dunno. We've had 2 killer cud's come out of the woodwork in 2016 but it sure would be a contender. Agreed that it appears to be pmd under wear

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  7. SuperDave

Yeah, I forgot about the cuds. That issue is decided. :)

8. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Yeah, Nate's VAM-2A was huge. ( has anybody seen a Billy Fuccillo commercial?)

Cascade likes this.
  9. SuperDave

Quite literally. :D

Cascade likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted