What's up with this?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MixtureNo79, Mar 31, 2019.

1. MixtureNo79

MixtureNo79 Active Member

I saw this on eBay tonight and I don't get who would fall for it? Seller is 100%.

Morgan Roll.JPG Morgan Roll 2.JPG Morgan Roll.JPG Morgan Roll 2.JPG Morgan Roll.JPG Morgan Roll 2.JPG Morgan Roll.JPG Morgan Roll 2.JPG Morgan Roll.JPG Morgan Roll 2.JPG Morgan Roll 2.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Well, I once knew a guy, we'll call him... meattlite86, who fell for unsearched rolls and spent a lot of money buying them up and learning just how dishonest sellers can be. It's probably best that meattlite86 didn't have more money, or he might have stupidly bought things like this as well.

Stevearino, wxcoin, TIF and 4 others like this.
  4. MixtureNo79

It says it sold for $11K with 62 bids! Are there that many schmos out there?

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I won! I won!...
    I cant wait to show everyone my beautiful expensive silver Morgans! :greedy:
    Happy pre April Fools Day! :wacky:

6. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I hope the buyer needs 18 circulated 1921's!

MixtureNo79, Maxfli and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Well, there's something like 330,000,000 people in the US.
    62 is only something like 0.0000187%

And look at all the people that have a "road kill" US penny (ugh, it's a CENT, not a penny; look at the reverse) that think it's an error.
    Or their cent is a DD.

Sorry, I apologize.
    I needed to make those last two comments.
    It's an itch that I needed to scratch.

MixtureNo79 likes this.
  8. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

What nut would buy an original roll in a newer bank wrapper?

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I ran across a dealer once that was very dishonest. Never bought from him. Never went back either. He would take a roll of mostly dateless Buffalo Nickels and slip the end one out and replace it with a Shield Nickel. He never showed the date, just the shield on one end and a buffalo on the other end.

He claimed he sold several rolls every week. The amazing thing was he had about 25 plus of these rolls on display and available for sale. You could even pick which roll you wanted. I have no doubts that he sold them but you could tell the end coin was replaced.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I actually personally met someone who sells “unsearched rolls.” We actually made friends before I realized it was all a scam, and I even met him at his home and talked Coins with him for a while. He’s a very kind old man who suffers from MS and sells them to pay for medical bills and such. Even so, when it all dawned on me that it was a big scam, I up and cut off communications with him. I just didn’t know how to broach the subject without being rude/angry. He no longer sells them, but I felt betrayed nonetheless and feel like I shouldn’t reconnect because I’ll bring it up. Regardless of your reasoning, lies are lies.

He never talked to me about the rolls, but I’m certain he has a crimping machine at his house.

Stevearino and Collecting Nut like this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Well, the seller didn't quite make out that well, eBay gets 10% ($1,100). :smuggrin::joyful::p:eek:

Seattlite86 likes this.
  12. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I know his brother, we'll call him PlainOldSteve,...;):D:rolleyes:

Mernskeeter and Seattlite86 like this.
  13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Like they say, you ask any amount you wish and maybe some fool will pay it on eBay.

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Since shields are smaller this should have been quite obvious. Not quite as bad as gold dollars as enders, but still. ;)

It’s certainly possible, but not necessary. With a little patience and practice it’s quite easy to reproduce by hand.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

16. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I once knew a man from Nantucket...

17. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Penny is perfectly acceptable, even the US Mint refers to them as a penny

18. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Yes, I'm aware of that.
    For me, that's another strike against the Mint.
    That goes along with the items they sell that are greatly overpriced.
    But my opinion in this case will mostly fall on deaf ears.

BTW a recent Coin World Weekly contained a Letter to the Editor that mentioned the same thing.
    So I'm not the only numismatist that finds it annoying to call the US 1¢ coin a "penny".
    And to be truthful, in day-to-day conversations I use the word "penny".
    But I think US numismatists should use the word "cent".

Oldhoopster likes this.
  19. MixtureNo79

No apology necessary. You are right.

20. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

It's unbelievable that there was 62 bids on it and the average price on each coin is approximately $550 per coin!

Draft saved Draft deleted