What's up with this penny...something or nothing at all?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by love old coins, Jun 20, 2021.

1. love old coins

love old coins Well-Known Member

I have two 1956 D pennies, one that has the mint mark in the usual spot and one that has it touching the date. Can't say that I've ever seen such a thing but I'm still basically a newbie compared to you guys. What do you think? (I tried to take the best possible pictures while holding my breath - LOL!)

Attached Files:

Collecting Nut and RonSanderson like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Mint marks were individually punched into working dies by hand until 1989, so the location will vary. The high MM is cool, but unlikely to bring any significant premium. Even with that, I would still put it in a 2x2 if I found it

4. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Back then mint marks were hand punched into the die by people so they can end up all over within that area yours are still pretty normal.

5. love old coins

Oh yeah, I put that little beauty in a 2x2 right after I photographed it. Thanks for your answer!

6. love old coins

Even if it's normal according to numismatic standards, it's special to me...thank you for your reply!

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

A keeper for sure. I've not seen a MM so close to the date before. Must have been really tired or maybe had a few when they punched that one. LOL

8. Lueds

Lueds Well-Known Member

I've had a few like this, I went through the discovery process when I came across them. Varietyvista.com has a section on mintmark positions that are standard for each year and mint mark.

love old coins likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

A very high, hand punched mint mark. Definitely a keeper.

10. love old coins

Good to know...thank you!

11. love old coins

Not to mention, the coin is in really good shape too. Heck, both of them are.

Collecting Nut likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted