What's up with this 1982 copper cent?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Coin Counter, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Coin Counter

Coin Counter Member

Hello!

A few years ago (around the time I started CoinRollHunting) I found this 1982, Denver, copper cent that appears to have part of the reverse stamped on the obverse and I have been confused about its origins ever since.

When I first found it I thought it was somehow struck again with the reverse die but then soon realized it it couldn't have been struck again without flattening the rim of the coin. (Also because there's only part of the reverse which I kinda weird..) So then for a while I thought it was a die clash but it couldn't be that either and now I don't know what to think! I have looked everywhere I can on the Internet to find an Error like mine but have found nothing!

At this point my only theories are that it's either fake or some weird kind of PostMintDamage.
    I have trouble believing it's fake though because it passed the magnet test, everything else looks normal about the coin, and it's weight was normal for a copper cent (Well it weighed 3.10 g instead of 3.11 g but it's such a tiny difference) But I also know people can make really good face so I guess what I'm trying to say is, I Have no Idea! :banghead:

But anyways enough with my jabbering, here are the pictures of the coin:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    P.S. Also when I rub my finger over the spot where the "Error" is, it feels like it goes up.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Looks like glue ...

4. Coin Counter

Coin Counter Member

Oh, that would explain a lot..

5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

See how you can see the L in liberty coming through the window ...

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

To be honest, I would hold onto this until you can make a show or shop and ask for an expert in hand opinion. (No offense Rick). I've only seen a few similar in all my years. Some are man made, some are machine made. Is it possible the reverse die shattered and a stray piece was impressed into the obverse? I have no idea and am not an expert but I would not toss just yet. This one looks really good and would have taken a lot of effort to get so smooth with the rim. But if it were still in the chamber this might explain something.

paddyman98, Paddy54 and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. Coin Counter

Coin Counter Member

Hmm I might just take it to a coin show, thanks!

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Coin Counter

Coin Counter Member

Yeah that does make sense. But what, in your opinion, is the odd crack looking thing under FG on the reverse?

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Having searched bags in the past one never knows what you could find. All sorts of fragments to full blanks. That said I'm sure there could of been a thin fragment got in the machine and the hit the coin causing the fragment to stick to the coin.
    Have it checked out for sure.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Lamination error

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

tommyc03 likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I would follow Tommy's advice. One other possibility is that it is a retained dropped element.

Chris

13. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

LIBERTY is not going to show through a coin (or even a lamination peal from a coin) and it looks like the image mirrored. The only thing I know that would account for that is glue.

KoinJester and Rick Stachowski like this.
  14. paddyman98

The columns would be incuse if it were on glue. @Coin Counter , do the columns look raised or incuse?

15. Coin Counter

Coin Counter Member

Yeah I think I have to agree, I'm sold on glue.

16. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Hit it with acetone. Rick might be right. It's the stubbon-type, if it is. I've removed it before on cents, but it doesn't let go easy. It's raised, right?

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. Coin Counter

Coin Counter Member

Yeah it's raised. Thanks for the acetone idea!

eddiespin likes this.
  18. paddyman98

What I have been asking is if the columns are raised not the whole piece in question :nailbiting:

19. Coin Counter

Coin Counter Member

Whoops sorry didn't see your last comment. Yes the columns themselves are raised.

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I don't know about that. If the space between the columns is about the same height as the fields, it would be open and allow any letters to be visible. That is another reason why I think it may be a retained dropped element.

Chris

21. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

But if you look, some is visible through the steps, the column and the space. I don't care which way is what, it has to be clear.

Draft saved Draft deleted