What's up with 1909-S VDB pricing?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Browns Fan, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Browns Fan

Browns Fan Active Member

At the beginning of this year a MS64 Red was $3,000. Now it's listed at $4,250. I'm referring to the PCGS price guide. Did I miss something?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The entire coin market has been on a tear for the past year or so. Everything's going up.

4. physics-fan3.14

And because I can, here's my NGC EF-40:

JPA1081 obverse.JPG JPA1081 reverse.JPG

NSP, Evan Saltis, tommyc03 and 4 others like this.
  5. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

The wacky coin market. They now cost about what they did in 2011 then plummeting to half that price in 2019 now they are back up. Like many things in this world pricing is cyclical.
    Now is definitely not the time to buy one so just wait. A great investment if you had bought one for $2,000 2 years ago.

6. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

welcome to free money and no work for thousands of people last year. Stay home get THOUSANDS of dollars from and nothing but time on their hands for many of them. LOTS of folks had a back up bank account so this was just bonus money .So coin investing seemed to fill a gap Hopefully when people run out of that Gov. free cash and go back to work those coins bought will filter back into the system and normal prices will return. Of course Some people NEEDED that extra cash to survive and go to school and such, but not all.

jafo50 likes this.
  7. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Evan Saltis likes this.
  9. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Perception is reality. Not a rare or scarce coin, but the belief by collectors and the public rules the day.

QuintupleSovereign likes this.
  10. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Wasn't this very recently discussed on the forums here?

Where is Yogi Berra?

11. QuintupleSovereign

QuintupleSovereign Well-Known Member

Asset-price inflation, pure and simple.

12. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not entirely simple, I think. If it were just the dollar leaking value, all coins would be going up sharply, and they just aren't.

I've got two Peace dollars where I've been watching eBay closing prices, a 1921 in MS62 and a 1934-S in AU50. For most of the last five or six years, they've both averaged about $300. Now, the 1934-S is still getting about that -- but the 1921 has almost tripled. Even the 1928 is dead in the water compared to the 1921.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Prices have risen across the board this year.

14. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Key dates are especially suceptible to increases in this past year. I almost got a very fine for $750.00 and think I should have pulled the trigger. It's the only one I don't have.

15. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Any 4-digit number is too high for a circulated Lincoln cent - no matter the date or mm :)

Evan Saltis likes this.
  16. Sting 60

Sting 60 Well-Known Member

Up until about a year ago 1909 s vdb was very reasonable. Don't know why it is so much higher. I would think that the 1921 peace is threw the roof because of the 100 yr anniversary. Wait another year and they both will be back down my guess.

17. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

And there is no shortage of this coin. I have seen numerous dealers well stocked with this in all sorts of grades. I also believe it will come back down.

charley likes this.
  18. physics-fan3.14

When I was looking for this coin, I had a few criteria:

1. Smooth, even wear consistent with the grade
    2. Deep brown, stable color
    3. No spots
    4. Good strike.
    5. No spots.
    6. Great eye appeal.

This coin met my requirements, and I'm incredibly pleased to own it.

Santinidollar and -jeffB like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted