Whats this worth? Pamphylia, Side AR Tetradrachm Ch VF NGC

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Goldstone, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Goldstone

Goldstone Digging for Gold

Hey, I would really like to get into ancients I have one (a cheap on I picked up in Israel)...I really kind of like this, and I would prefer certified coins (my eyes are not yet keen to the fake ancients like I am with US coins)...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pamphylia-Side-AR-Tetradrachm-Ch-VF-NGC_W0QQitemZ320504537177QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9f8f2059#ht_3551wt_873

Anyway this is the coin I really like I also loved this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Pamphylia-Side-AR-Tetradrachm-Ch-VF-NGC_W0QQitemZ320504537177QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a9f8f2059#ht_3551wt_873
    Anyway, any steering in the right direction would be great! Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Goldstone

4. FrankPlantagenet

FrankPlantagenet New Member

I think thats rather pricey but I might be wrong.

5. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

I dont claim to be a "ancient" expert.But for one,their both NGC graded,so their authentic,and 2 I think the price for those is about right for retail.The larger the piece,& the more detail on it,the more the price.They both are lovely pieces overall,with great detail.it all depends on how much your looking to spend.

6. FrankPlantagenet

Believe it or not I used to own an Alexander The Great Drachm and it sold for only £16, which was disappointing but I wasn't very bothered. Those coins are very beautiful but you know what dealers on Ebay are like, they charge over the top!

7. Goldstone

Well those are three of the many coins that really caught my eye, and I'm looking for a direction thank you for your help :), and I meant that I wouldn't buy raw yet but I know NGC is guaranteed, which one of these would you get?

8. FrankPlantagenet

Buy English hammered, its much better!

9. Goldstone

What's that?

10. Goldstone

What would you offer for the: 129 BC-Yr.183 SYRIA DEMETRIOS II TYRE AR SHEKEL NGC VF??
    and I also like that gold one, but it lacks detail and the finer ones were much more expensive.
    How can I figure out the worth of these coins? I know my sources for US coins but not ancient

11. Goldstone

This is the most similar I could find to it, but its not the same..
    http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=38159q00.jpg&vpar=85&zpg=48884&fld=http://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

12. FrankPlantagenet

Go on Ebay and type in 'Edward The Confessor Penny'.

Saxon pennies :eek:

13. Goldstone

14. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

I would go for the syria demetrios II it is rather larger in size,the detail is great and the bird on the reverse I just couldnt look away.I did like the other one,but it lacked as much detail.Plus with coinsplus you can make an offer.I would go for the price of the other or less,just to set the waters.good luck for any choice you make.

15. FrankPlantagenet

What he said!

16. Goldstone

Thank you very much, I just offered $300.00 to start the negotiation, thanks guys!

17. Gao

Gao Member

While I can't tell you if these are good prices, since I collect the low end stuff, you don't need to just stick with slabbed coins to be sure of authenticity. There are plenty of reputable dealers that offer lifetime guarantees. Most of them are found on Vcoins, which requires all of its members to have this policy. I'd recommend looking up "Pamphylia Tetradrachm" there to see what you find in order to get an idea of the price range for this coin (though remember to check "match all words").

18. FrankPlantagenet

Goodluck with it, its a nice coin.

19. Goldstone

Well I made the offer for $300, and the guy raised his price to $569.00 and the real shame is I was willing to pay the $469.00...strange?

20. FrankPlantagenet

I'd leave it and look elsewhere, oh well theres plenty more coins out there like it.

21. Goldstone

Draft saved Draft deleted