whats this thing worth?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by gypsy_gear, Dec 19, 2011.

1. gypsy_gear

gypsy_gear New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

It's worth its weight in silver.

4. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

There are 14.58 troy oz in a pound. But only 12 troy ounces in a troy pound.

Man, this is almost trying to be deceptive I think. But I would figure 6 Toz of silver at 29 per toz total at 174. Less 20%, because that's what the smelters charge. So, I'm not a buyer at 135. Maybe at 100-105.........maybe.

5. gypsy_gear

gypsy_gear New Member

im on it @ 125 max. I just think its cool that it weighs so much.

6. Kid_Collector

Kid_Collector Member

i would love to own that coin. thats also my birth year :)

7. gypsy_gear

gypsy_gear New Member

@ Gary, I get paid spot if i sell my pm's. The owner of the store pays spot and sells a bit over. She says it just works better for her that way ?

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

9. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

She won't be in business very long buying at spot.

10. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

11. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Doesn't it have to state that if it's troy or not? A look at that coin, it states "ONE HALF POUND PURE SILVER", so I'd assume it's actually 1/2 pound (being 8oz), not in troy ounces. So if truly 1/2 pound at current market, it would be $235.68 currently.

12. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Actually, I have the 1997 ASE version of the half pound pure silver, and I do recall it actually weighing at 8oz, not 6oz. I'll confirm once I'm at home, but I think you're mistaken 10gary22, this is likely an 8oz bullion coin, not in troy ounces.

Mine resembles this one: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/4205648

O
    n the auction site, it states it's 8oz, not 6oz for troy ounces. ;)

13. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I guess I didn't explain it well enough. Yes it's 8 ounces. BUT 8 ounces equals 6 toz of Silver or Gold. You are only getting 6 ounces (troy, because troy ounces are heavier than andropolis ounces) of Silver. Because people don't realize this, the seller advertises it as a half pound coin. It IS !

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_one_troy_ounce_weigh_in_regular_ounces

6 x spot is the value, not 8x.

gary

14. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I actually inherited mine but according to Collectible America (formerly known as Washington Mint who created these half pound Eagles) stated this: "Here at Collectible America, we have discovered that many of our customers are not readily familiar with Troy weights, which is why we have chosen to strike our Half Pound Silver Eagles to a full 8 troy ounces (even though a Half Troy pound is actually only 6 oz.)."

I can't speak for the Kennedy half pound dollar but with this info, I can assume the Eagle I have is a full 8 troy ounces of silver. ;)

15. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

As a buyer, it's always best to assume that the unit is being used against you, rather than in your favor. At least, that's been my experience with ounces...

16. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Well, I'd say if you're going to buy something like this on eBay and it's advertised as One Half pound of pure silver and have concerns if it's actually 8oz or 6oz, make sure it has a COA like mine.

COA.jpg ASE.jpg

8oz Troy mine would be. I'm assuming this Kennedy is in the same boat if it's from the same company. :)

17. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

If you get your hands on one, weigh it on a digital scale (in grams). Many eBay sellers are unfamiliar with troy ounces. There has been many a time when a seller advertises their item as "1/2 oz Junk Silver" and they say in their description that you will be getting 14 grams of silver. Wouldn't a 1/2 troy ounce of silver be 15.5 grams? You never see this with gold, probably because someone having a gold coin to sell is most likely to be familiar with troy ounces.

Draft saved Draft deleted