What's this kind of error called?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Tin_Man_0, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

the ring going through WE TRUST is a Ridge Ring associated with Die Deterioration/Deformation.
    The thing on the edge? .. damage ??

quote from https://www.coinworld.com/news/worl...-raised-rings-on-world-coins-remains.all.html

I see damage on the bust too ..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Damage om the edge IMHO

5. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

Deterioration? No way, I need to put up more pictures there. That edge there isn't a downward slope but and upward slope and it is inline with the rest of the rim of the coin. It's the strike that is off I think. Let me put up better pictures.

6. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

That is die deterioration. Along with damage to the rim.

7. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Die deterioration and Damage to the rim. You can post all the photos you want but that doesn't change what it is.

9. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

It's like it has two rims at the top of the coin and they merge into one rim by the time it gets to the bottom.

10. Clawcoins

YES
    EXACTLY !!

read up on it ...
    https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...can-render-coins-letters-illegible-o.all.html

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-c...aised-doubling-may-represent-plating.all.html

if you google "Ridge Ring" and "Die Deterioration" .. you'll get plenty of reading material on it with pictures that look exactly the same.

As a die pounds away at hundreds of thousands of planchets, the working face undergoes slow deformation that is referred to as die wear or die deterioration. Formerly crisp numbers and letters frequently become bloated and irregular,
    The letters of IN GOD WE TRUST have been partly swallowed up by a “ridge ring” — a swelling that formed just inside and parallel to the design rim. Zinc cents are prone to develop such swellings. Other, broader swellings may form within the interior of the coin. A close relationship exists between such swellings and the thinning and disappearance of peripheral letters.

11. Tin_Man_0

Tin_Man_0 Active Member

How is there going to be die deteriation on the rim half way through the letters without affecting the letters? And I thought the rim was really put on the planchet first before any strike is made? And then the planchent gets locked into a collar that would ensure the coin doesn't just sqeeze out. So how can the die have deteroration past the point of the letters without affecting the letters? Are they diffrent strikes?

12. Clawcoins

the letters are incused into the die. The letters are not going to be moving around the die, right?

the flat surfaces of the die is deteriorating in this case. The surface not the letters.

don't forget the Die is CONSTANTLY deteriorating in various ways.

13. Clawcoins

If you take a coin
    get some silly putty
    squeeze the silly putty against the coin
    Then put it in the oven for a short time to harden it
    you now have a silly putty die.

you can see the letters, bust, etc are pressed into the die below the surface.
    The surface itself can deteriorate over time. Yes, the edges of the letters can deteriorate too.

now .. get some cookie dough, make into small flat round discs for your coin die ... for the next coin club and have some fun.

of course, whilst using it, notice how it deteriorates through usage. The die, not the cookie dough. STOP eating the cookie dough !!

14. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Ridge Rings.....I learn something new every day.

15. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Very Nice - a great example of Die Deterioration

Thanks for posting it.

16. Clawcoins

how to make coin looking cookies ?

Hookman likes this.
  17. CasualAg$

CasualAg$ Corvid Minions Collecting

Both. Thanks.

Hookman likes this.