What's this coin?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hazmatt, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

15723000796481856069891.jpg 15723001248631369711715.jpg So I found this coin and don't even know the language that's printed on it, can someone please help me?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

4. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Looks like it might be a slight clip as well.

6. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

8. cpm9ball

If it was a clip, the denticles wouldn't curve inward.

Chris

9. TyCobb

TyCobb A product of PMD

I saw that when I searched the page and found nothing, but did see the engraver was Barre. I don't know much about the language, but it does seem like P and R are reversed since they used "P" for "BARRE" and "r" for "P" in "LEPTA". (I don't literrally mean those characters, but similar in shape for that alphabet)

10. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Oh right. Yes, I see your point. icon_smile_thumbsup.gif

Inspector43 likes this.
  11. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I'm afraid that's a rim bruise and not a clipped planchet, but otherwise, the coin is not bad. These got heavily circulated and are often found really worn and beat up. I used to get them in bulk lots from time to time.

Yes, though a Greek issue, this coin was struck under contract in France, at the Strasbourg mint ("BB" mintmark).

The designer was one of the French engravers named Barre, I suppose. Maybe Albert Désiré Barre?

As to why that is rendered as "BAPPE" on the coin, I'm guessing it's because the Rho letter is "P" in the Greek alphabet, which is equivalent to the Roman R. (?) Just speculating here. Funny, I never noitced it was BAPPE on these coins instead of BARRE, until just now.

(*My first name begins with an "R", so my brain often subconsciously converts P's to R's. Many's the time I've made that slipup when writing stuff longhand.)

DEA and Chuck_A like this.
  12. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

Thank you all for sharing the most valuable asset in life, knowledge

13. cpm9ball

Jean Jacques Barre was Albert's father, but it couldn't have been him because he died in 1855. Albert lived until 1878.

Chris

14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

The Greek letter P (Rho) is equivalent to R. I learned a few useful things being in a college fraternity besides tapping a keg. Knowing the Greek alphabet is also useful in deciphering ancient greek and Roman Provincial Coinage as well

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

No, that is rim damage.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  16. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

The Greek minors of this era were pure copper and relatively soft. Like many large, pure copper coins, they're seldom found without "flat spots" on the rims from being dropped - accidentally or deliberately - on hard floors. The weight of these "Æ1's & 2's" combined with the malleability of the copper to take on a flat spot of some size - from barely noticeable to full "flat tire" - whenever they were dropped.

lordmarcovan and Islander80-83 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted