What's the safest service for shipping coin and stamp collections?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by yobboy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. yobboy

yobboy Junior Member

My dad wants to move from east to west coast USA. He has a coin collection and stamp collection that would probably fill about 4 or 5 milk crates for example. He's old and can't drive. Is there a safe reliable shipping service that insures and specializes in handling valuable collections, etc? Thanks for any help

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

What is the value of the collection? How much does it weigh?

If a very high value, contact an armored transportation service. If not, ship the most expensive items and mail them Registered mail with Insurance. Each package can be insured for up to $25,000.

4. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

I agree with gmarguli! I mail less expensive items via First Class or Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation as well as Insurance if needed and have never had a problem. However, I ship all high dollar coins or coin collections via Priority/Registered Mail with Insurance and again have never had a problem.

Frank

5. kvasir

kvasir Show me the Money**

I don't know about the US, but Greyhound up here in Canada is pretty reliable for packages like the size of crates. Pick up at the bus station so no missed delivery. You probably have to package them well because they do get transferred from bus to bus several times in a continental trip like that.

Depending on the weight, you can also consider shipping it as freight parcel on the same flight your father is flying (I assume he's flying to the destination). Mark your parcel fragile antique collectibles and they should handle it with care.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If necessary, break it up into packages small enough (weight), and valued at $25k or less, to send via Registered Mail.

7. Krasnaya Vityaz

Krasnaya Vityaz Always Right

Actually, it is not publicised apparently, but you can ship stuff valued over $25K with the post office, fully insured, but the rates go up exponentially. Usually this is something done with special arrangments. I do not believe you could just walk into your local post office downtown and do this.

8. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

This is completely off topic, but did anyone else ever notice that everything is said to go up "exponentially" anymore? Nothing is ever said to go up arithmetically or even geometrically. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted