What's the right price for a 1885-CC

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jrs146, Oct 11, 2016.

1. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

I figured not. But seller is asking quite a bit less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

There may be no such thing as "overpriced" when two or three extremely knowledgeable dealers/collectors recognize rarity and quality in an auction and go after it. It seems that each time I made the decision to over pay for a coin because it was special and the dealer would not budge one penny, I did OK in the long run.

MS-65 1885-CC dollars are around. IMO, the coin in the OP is not one I should chase...too much chatter on the reverse which usually is (although not as important) found nicer than the obverse as in Post#17.

jrs146 and Paul M. like this.
  4. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

What grade would you put on this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

63-64, depending on the seriousness of the "chatter" on the cheek. Digital imagery exaggerates marks like that, making them hard to nail down. The darkest areas might not be as impactful on grade as the photography seems to indicate. The fields are MS64-level.

6. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Yeah I was thinking MS63 with maybe a fighting chance at 64. What do you think am appropriate buy price would be? It's a GSA.

Insider likes this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

MS63 examples tend to sell at or a bit above $700, and MS64 nets about $100 more. As with Carson City and GSA sales generally, there are always outliers in the sales results so it's harder to draw an average.

Santinidollar likes this.
  8. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Ok thanks!
    I might pass on this one. It's a fair price but I think I'll look for a nicer example.

Thanks all for the advice!

9. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

A fairly common date, many available, many styles to choose from, even comes in colors. There,s one on every corner, so a lot of competition to be had. Just find the one you like at the fairest price. I would like the GSA model, as it will fit in the garage with the others...for a few more bucks.

Paul M. likes this.
  10. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Between $910 and 1000 depending on strike and luster...

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The right price?

As low as you can get it.

Insider likes this.
  12. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

I agree with most of the others in as much as there is NO set price for ANY coin regardless of grading. That being said, professionally graded coins from NGC or PCGS are the safest and most secure considering counterfitting exists. In my experience, I use buying guides ONLY as buying guides and NOT as "stone prices" as one stated. In addition, I use grading & population information with this price to determine the price I want to pay which is generally 60% of wholesale then, adjust upward to my interest. No matter what system you follow or create yourself, remember, if you plan to sell later...you need equity so, NEVER pay too much. Good luck.

13. fish4uinmd

"generally 60% of wholesale then"...if you can find an ms graded '85 CC anywhere near 60% of retail...please let me know! ;) That would put a PCGS ms63 at about $450.00...please IM me since I would like to buy a dozen of them. Good hunting.

Insider likes this.
  14. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

A nice 63 coin.

15. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

16. DysfunctionalVeteran

17. DysfunctionalVeteran

I found a nice 65PL for $1400 but you didn't say you wanted PL so I posted the cheapest MS65 I could find. The one for $1145 has nice fields. You should see if you can get better photos of that coin.

18. fish4uinmd

What is the current Greysheet on an MS65?

19. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out!

20. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Personally, if I were looking to spend THAT much bread on a Morgan Dollar, I would look at a BUNCH of different dates before I pulled the trigger. If you are dead set on a GSA Carson City, take a look at the 1878cc for example, 1st year of issue and alot tougher to find in a GSA holder, than what most people think. Getting tunnel vision can lead to purchases you might regret possibly in the long run. As a sleeper coin, off the top of my head- the 1892 P Morgan is a coin I hardly ever see in Mint State condition, which can be had for around $500 -MS63.
    '85-'89S are all better dates for around the same price as an '85cc.
    And finally the 1891cc is another key date, that can be had for roughly the same amount of money...:bookworm:

jrs146 and fish4uinmd like this.
  21. jrs146

jrs146 Active Member

I've been trying to accumulate a nice collection of the CC's. I have 1878, I skipped 1879, not ready to drop that kind of coin. I have 1880,1881,1882,1883,1884.

1885 was up next. But to your point. I've been waiting for the exact right 1885 at the right price. Haven't found it yet I don't think.

Draft saved Draft deleted