Whats the most you have paid for a coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Atlas37, Dec 29, 2017.

1. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Of the secretary of course. 1913 V nickels are much cheaper than a hot.....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. muhfff

muhfff Well-Known Member

My "personal best" is 4499 dollars for single coin - Estonian 10 marka 1926.
    But biggest "invoice" have been 7500 for small collection.

1926_10-marka_AV.JPG
    1926_10-marka_REV.JPG

markr, asheland, Stork and 4 others like this.
  4. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Not having perused the previous answer, I wouldn't buy one without it being certified by one of the top grading companies. There are many, many more fakes than there are genuine and has been for half a century.

Low grade isn't even a safe bet as there are a lot of fake AG's too. One can learn the mint mark positions and shapes pretty easily but with the price of even the lowest grade and , if you're not a dealer and will only be buying one......

certified.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  5. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

25053614_41206216_2200 - Copy.jpg Paid a little over $9,000,000 and then I woke up.

6. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

What he said. Also eBay isn’t the best place to buy coins. I use Heritage Auctions and Collectors Corner.

Mainebill and LA_Geezer like this.
  7. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I'll have to check them out.

Edit: Just registered with Heritage. The overwhelming majority of items I browsed through are way above my ability to pay. :(

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

He has a hot young secretary, and he's working with her Ipad.

9. mac266

mac266 Well-Known Member

True for me, too. It's the place to buy the keys and semi-keys for your series, because the vast majority of the sellers have a great reputation and pretty much anything offered on the site is certified (ONLY buy certified!).

LA_Geezer likes this.
  10. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

Well, I paid $3,100 for a MEDAL... my 1942 Theosophist's Medal by Albert Wiss. BUT... it is 80g of 1.000 Fine Gold. :)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  11. DallasCoinsNThings

DallasCoinsNThings Numismaniac

Attached Files:

12. LA_Geezer

I've come to understand that I'll not be getting a '16D of my own. Since I've already been told that the 1921 coins are also pretty pricey, these may not be in my future either. What is a real benefit to collecting the Mercury dimes in all other cases is that even some really nice coins in the series are cheap. I've bought all seven of the coins that make up 1944 and 1945, and was able to get them all for less than $30 including shipping.

13. LA_Geezer

Expansive? Elaborate.

14. asheland

asheland The Silver Lion

$2400ish for a Saint a few years back (higher gold market)

15. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I have more valuable coins that I cherrypicked, but in terms of what I paid for a single coin, mine is also definitely a Saint. $1650 for an MS65 (old NGC slab and undergraded by today's standards).

16. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

B308DA3F-1C54-4DB4-A981-4C29DC367BF9.jpeg 08AE241F-5D5F-46E9-A4E2-0A389394637C.jpeg

I hate to bring this thread down a level. $57. Fuld R-8.

Stevearino and LA_Geezer like this.
  17. In early 1982, I paid in the neighborhood of $400k for the unique 1787 Brasher Doubloon, Punch on Breast variety, Ex: Garrett Collection. Contemplate that and suck on the that thought for awhile….
    Sam_I_am

Cheech9712 and Omegaraptor like this.
  18. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:

19. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

$912 for this Julius Caesar lifetime denarius, minted between January and March of 44 BCE.

Julius Caesar.jpg

That's about the limit of what I'm comfortable paying. I don't mind spending $1000+ on astronomy equipment for my amateur astronomy hobby, but I can't see myself spending that much on a coin. At least a telescope will show you the universe...a coin, well, it's a beauty, but it's just a coin.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  20. ¿What's your question? Sometimes it seems like another lifetime, but the purchase of that coin by me can be verified on the front page of Coin World at the time following the mid-winter A.N.A. at The Broadmoor in Colorado Springs that year. Forgive me, but I don't recall off the top of my head the exact date of the transaction or the date of the Coin World issue. However, next time I go to my storage unit, I'll check the dates of the Coin World & Miami Herald articles which hung on my office wall for over a decade. I also still have glass holograms of the coin which I had made at the time. We never disclosed the exact purchase price of the coin at the time and I still won't now.
    Sam_I_am
    Samuel L. Smith

Omegaraptor likes this.
  21. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Have you got pics? Would love to see 'em.

Cal

Draft saved Draft deleted