What's the most expensive coin you could lose in pocket change?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Info Sponge, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

Every now and then you hear about somebody's kid stealing their collectible US coins and spending them at the corner store.

How bad could that conceivably get? What's the most valuable coin that a store clerk or a vending machine would accept as contemporary US currency?

Or to look at it from a positive point of view, what's the most valuable coin you could fantasize about finding in a normal-looking set of change?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

maybe a 1933 Double Eagle :)

4. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I think the 32 D quarter or a key date Lincoln would be the easiest to pass unnoticed.

5. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

If I picked up a couple rolls of nickels at the bank, and found any or all of these I'd have a really big smile: 1885, 1886, 1912-S, 0r 1913-S type II. I won't get greedy, this would be good enough! Someone else can fanticize about dimes or quarters.

6. USCoinsInfo

USCoinsInfo Junior Member

Most likely 1909-S VDB Wheat Cent. It would easily pass unnoticed. You could always go back to the store and ask for their change.

7. That question can be answered in a lot of different ways depending on the circumstances. Considering that most people are used to Lincoln cents, Jefferson nickels, Roosevelt dimes, and Washington quarters as their pocket change, the keys and major errors/varieties in each of these series are probably the most valuable coins that would go unnoticed. TC

8. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I don't know what could be... but I do what WAS the most expensive coin I ever lost out of my pocket.

I went to the coin shop with my then girlfriend once and bought a 1942/1 dime. We then went clothes shopping and when I got to the car the coin was no longer in my pocket. Never to be seen again....:desk:

9. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

Ouch...

10. joey0053

joey0053 ZERT Operator

When I was about 5 or 6 years of age my mom had a picture album that contained 1 $1.00 1957 Silver Certificate, a half dollar, quarter, nickel, dime and penny from the same year and i feed them unknowingly of there sentimental value into a vending machine at an apartment we lived at.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It would be difficult to "lose" a 1933 Saint out of pocket change. My guess would be the 2003 Lincoln PCGS MS70RD that sold for 7 figures a couple years back (if it had been cracked from the slab).

Chris

12. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I dunno maybe a MS65 14D lincoln.

13. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

The story goes that one of the 1894-S Barber dimes was spent by a little girl on an ice cream.

That's a million-dollar mistake right there.

14. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

Lets turn the story around a bit and look at the store clerk. Would he/she not accept pre 65 United States silver or gold coins / old paper currency? :)

15. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Imagine seeing a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel on the ground and some kid grabs it and runs. :rolleyes:

16. Mad.Outcast

Mad.Outcast New Member

Thats easy,a super gem wounded eagle sacagawea.:) or a cheerios sacagawea:)

17. Marauderrt10

Marauderrt10 Toners rule******

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just kidding :goofer:

18. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Because most of our coinage hasn't changed much in the past 100 years, I'd say any key date in any series since then. Most people aren't collectors and wouldn't know what to look for, so I'm sure stuff passes hands daily that would make us cringe.
    Guy~

19. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I spent a beat up 1920 something 20 dollar bill at the liquor store once and the clerk didn't want to accept it.

I always wanted to try to spend a three cent piece or half dime or a large cent and see what would happen.

20. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i thought large cents were no longer monitized by the us gov't? i could be wrong on that, though.

21. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

Bummer, :eek: I would be sick.

Draft saved Draft deleted