What's the forum's opinions on Franklin mint world coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by myownprivy, Jan 14, 2017.

1. myownprivy

myownprivy Well-Known Member

I will say that I really dislike anything produced by a contracted mint that pitched (or maybe still pitches) their products on late night tv and newspaper ads. However, some of the proof silver and gold coins produced for Central American and Caribbean nations in the 70s and 80s are quite beautiful. While I never intend to buy any, I will keep those that I currently have.

What do people have?

What do you think of them?

Generally, how close to spot will these sell?
    (for instance, Belize sterling silver proof sets from the early 70s, $2 and $10 Bahamas early 1970s sterling coins)

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

great looking coins. I will tell you what I have when I get back from work.

4. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

If I can buy BU or proof coins at spot and they are attractive I will buy them. Some of the issues from the central American countries are pretty attractive.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

The Franklin Mint has produced some very pretty $10 & $20 silver proof coins for the Bahamas, and they can be purchased relatively cheap in the secondary market. I just don't advise anyone to buy them directly from FM.

Chris

6. onecenter

onecenter Member

I have many Franklin Mint-produced proof and mint sets. Many are very well designed. The larger denomination coins are usually 45mm in diameter and quite hefty in silver (usually proof) and copper-nickel (uncirculated). The "king" of these coins in silver is the Panamanian 20-balboa issues beginning in 1971 at 61mm.

Three countries had both the Franklin Mint and the British Royal Mint issue coins simultaneously, Belize, Guyana and Jamaica. The Belizean and Guyanese Franklin Minted coins are completely separate and distinct collector coins that did not circulate while the coins minted by the Royal Mint do circulate. In Jamaica, both types circulated, except for the higher denominations.

7. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I have several examples from different Caribbean Islands and I really like the way they look. I do feel a little like a sell-out by having them in my collection though, but I shouldn't overthink it. I have been buying a lot of silver uncirculating coins that are just for collectors lately, whether produced by the national government or private mints. If I like them then I'll collect them. I don't need to justify it to anyone, that's how I feel.

8. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

There are MANY small nations that do not have the expertise (or desire) to operate a Mint. The Franklin Mint is a good solution for them, regardless of the other junque they have produced and pitched with dubious claims of future value.

If it wasn't for the little FM monogram, you'd never know, compared to the real European mints. If silver ever returns to $50 (or higher), 95% of FM products will PLOP into the melting pot.

I might list 2 or 3 tomorrow and see how they do (my once-a-week's appear on Sundays). I'm not optimistic. They are an expensive nuisance to ship if still in their fake-velvet boxes.

Paul M. and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Panama, Belize, Bahamas, Papua New Guinea, Cuba, and many more I can't think of at this moment. great quality.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  10. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

A lot of small countries outsource the minting of their coins, and FM is as good a choice as any other contract provider. They generally do nice work.

For me personally, my interest level in FM coinage depends solely on whether it's circulation issue or collector coins. If the latter, then I would probably buy only as bullion.

11. myownprivy

I'm not familiar with anything they ever did for Cuba, can you please share?

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

going to work now. will check on that when I get home.

13. Golden age

Golden age Go for the gold

I have a set titled " TREASURES OF THE PHARAOHS " , 5 pcs. Set, which you are lucky to find for under $400.00, each is only approx. 1/2 oz. Silver. Holding value very well. Sorry no pics, but very nice set. Can be found if looked up pretty easily. I think F.M. put together 500 sets, but did not create them. Worth checking out. My memory could be a little off, will dig them up sometime and post pics., and info.

spirityoda and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  14. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Franklin mint products are generally a whole lot of "Nope" for me. I find pretty much all of that NCLT to be boring, uninspired, gimmicky tripe.

Same goes for Isle of Man, Solomon Islands, Royal Canadian Mint, and any other mint that churns out dozens and dozens of this stuff a year.

If you like it and can get it for bullion price, I guess buy what you like. But don't ever pay a premium for it.

(Private mints did and do contract for circulating coinage, sometimes, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I don't collect it, but there is a whole lot more reason for it to exist).

Paul M. likes this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

and Egypt, United Kindom/Great Britain. opps not Cuba... I was thinking of the Phillipines has a few.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  16. myownprivy

It's hard deciding whether to just hold on to mine or sell it. The one thing that's for sure is I won't be buying more. It's just a matter of what to do with what was gifted to me over the years.

They are very nice to look at, but ultimately in my stack amount to only around 1/10 oz of gold and 15ish oz of silver.

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

seems like you just like it for the bullion value ? If you like it for the coins... keep them. if you are not so fond of them then sell/trade them in for something you really like. only you can decide this. I have found that if you buy a coin/coins someone else tells you to buy... then down the road you might not like them anymore. That is why experienced collectors always say buy what YOU Love/like. you would be suprised at how many people get talked into buying coins.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  18. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Like @onecenter I own several of the Proof set issued by the Franklin Mint for several of the Caribbean islands during the 1970s and 1980s. I think they are very beautiful coins and am proud to have them in my collection. A few of them I was able to purchase very close to the melt value.

onecenter and spirityoda like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted