What's the Dumbest Thing You Ever Did to a Coin

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by wxcoin, Jul 5, 2021.

1. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

I couldn't save Lincoln either!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

I was wondering if polishing a coin with a microfiber towel would leave marks so I tried it on a Peace dollar. But rather than trying it on one that I paid about $15 for I tried it on one I paid about $100.

NSP, wxcoin and Kentucky like this.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Ouch...

5. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

dumbest oh I was dumb.. was 1995, I had a roll of new shiny 1995 cents 15-20 of them with "liberty" very clearly doubled, like fake DblD 55 wheats.. that doubled. (better then most examples i've seen since) Showed them to a friend... told him someday they could be worth a fortune... and proceeded to chuck em into a compost heap... the fact I was drunk at the time was no excuse and not getting them out the very next day was even dumber... as far as I know they still there (my brother has the house and still dumps his lawn clipping in that very spot)

Cliff Reuter and wxcoin like this.
  6. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

Sounds like you need to get drunk again and dig them out.

7. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Uhhhh, metal detector????

8. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

95 Zincoln's I doubt there is anything left...

Southernman189 likes this.
  9. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Oh so true ;)

10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I put a silver dime on a train track and never saw it again, dumb huh.

wxcoin likes this.
  11. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

In the 3rd grade, I lost an average circulated 44-D Walking Liberty half dollar on the school playground.

wxcoin likes this.
  12. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

The dumbest thing I ever did to a coin was sell it: a 1922 Lincoln cent, no D, XF reverse, that I found in my parents' cash register when I was about 12 years old. Sold it to my father for college expenses, then sold it to settle my dad's estate about six years ago. Dumb, dumber and dumbest thing.

Steve

wxcoin likes this.
  13. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I was in the 7th grade when my father gave me a silver dollar (I don't remember which one or what year). I was so excited that while walking home, I was showing off to a girl I was walking with (that I really liked). She asked to see it and I let her hold it. Next thing I knew, she tossed it. I looked for it for over a couple of hours and never found it. I told my father about it and he told me that he thought the girl palmed it and never threw it. I don't show my coin collection to anyone now..

wxcoin and masterswimmer like this.
  14. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

In my 'idiocratic' daze I cleaned an Au-Unc 1920-D SLQ with baking soda!
    At a Houston Money Show, many moons ago, J.H. Cline still offered me $75.00 for her.
    I still have this coin as a reminder.
    J.T.

wxcoin likes this.
  15. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

The good old days. Nothing better than some good old Comet and an old toothbrush to shine up the copper in the mid 1960's. Yep I did it. Been there Done that. Stupid Me!!!! Luckily nothing of value.

wxcoin likes this.
  16. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if there is one collector that started collecting when young that didn't destroy a coin or two.

Jim Dale likes this.
  17. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

I guess most every "early childhood collector of coins used the eraser trick" I know I did. I don't have any of those copper cents now, kinda wish I did for the memories.

wxcoin and Jim Dale like this.
  18. Southernman189

19. Southernman189

so it was YOU I bought that Coin from??? (just kidding)

20. Mike Thorne

Mike Thorne Well-Known Member

My father received an XF 1917-S obv half in change on a trip we took out West. It was a beautiful coin, with a few dark speckles on the eagle's breast. I kept if for years without doing anything to it. Finally, I decided to give it a quick baking soda and water scrub to get rid of the speckles. They did go away, but so did about $500 worth of value! I sold it as quickly as I could. I would say that was one of the dumbest things I ever did to a coin. Notice I said "one of." There have been plenty of others.

J.T. Parker, wxcoin and Jim Dale like this.
  21. Southernman189

I have no clue how many Wheatie Cents I sat on edge to shoot with a B-B gun and put lil round pings in them. Now I picture 1909 S V.D.B. being one of them even though chances are like Publishers clearing house winners the night mare is still there.:nailbiting: and for the record I didn't put my eye out.

Draft saved Draft deleted